MDA Halifax has recently partnered with a leading Defence Contractor to modernize the underwater warfare sensor suite that is currently installed on the Halifax Class frigates. The Underwater Warfare Suite Upgrade (UWSU) project will improve the performance of the underwater sensors through the upgrade and/or replacement of the components of the underwater warfare sensor suite. The UWSU In-Service Support Contract (ISSC) will provide long-term, full-spectrum support to the UWSU systems.
The UWSU Project will reinstate a tactical advantage over threat submarines / torpedoes and gain improved survivability. UWSU will deliver an integrated system that replaces the current towed array sensor and sonobuoy processing system, adds additional active intercept sensors, and improves the processing and transmission control system of the existing hull mounted sonar.
The responsibilities and range of activities will vary depending on experience, but in general will include:
- Work cooperatively within a Scrum team or within multiple Scrum teams.
- Develop, document, and manage requirements for system and subsystem specifications.
- Conduct requirements analysis and flow down activities.
- Identify, resolve, and track requirement issues.
- Develop, document, and manage the system, subsystem and software design.
- Develop, document, and manage system and subsystem interfaces.
- Support and technical oversight for suppliers responsible for provision of subsystems.
- Interface with specialty engineering disciplines to ensure the optimum system design.
- Support the System Integration Verification & Validation Team in integration and verification of the software, subsystems, and system.
- Develop, document, and manage the ship installation design.
- Support to installation, set to work, integration and acceptance on the ship.
- Report progress and status.
The following knowledge and experience is essential:
- 5+ years of systems engineering experience with complex electronic systems.
- Experience in requirements development and system design.
- Experience with requirements management tools.
- Experience with Systems Engineering processes and tools.
- Understanding of Software Engineering principles.
- Experience supporting System Integration and System Verification.
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrate strong problem solving skills and ability to conduct analysis leading to good conclusions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with technical writing.
- Enthusiastic contributor, willing to learn new skills, and takes pride and ownership of work.
- Ability to work effectively independently and in a team environment, with minimum supervision.
The following knowledge and experience is desirable:
- Knowledge of agile and/or iterative development methods.
- Knowledge of data management systems.
- Knowledge of functional behavior of sensor systems.
- Experience with DOORS.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, or applicable scientific discipline is required.
Successful candidate(s) must hold or be eligible to obtain Level II Security Clearance.
MDA provides customers around the world with essential information solutions used for decision making. Our employees enjoy challenging careers with opportunity for growth and learning.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company’s retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.