As a member of the Systems Engineering team you will be deployed to support projects anywhere in Dstl.
Systems engineers are required to design, research and exploit the best of science and technology to improve the UK military forces’ freedom to operate in challenging Electromagnetic contested environments.
This will include the generation of conceptual designs of complex systems and developing and integrating cutting-edge science and technology to achieve world-class capabilities. This will inform: shaping research, MOD procurement decisions and will involve the development of proof of principle demonstrators, requiring tests and trials.
As a member of the Systems Engineering team you will be deployed to support projects anywhere in Dstl. For each project you will operate as a member of the project team and report to the project leadership hierarchy.
Specific roles that are open within the team include:
- Technical leads for counter Improvised explosive (IED) Device research projects
- Technical lead for robotics – specifically remote control systems and influencing design
This is a fantastic opportunity to use systems engineering methodologies in an environment in which ingenuity and novel solutions are actively encouraged and rewarded. The roles are only limited by your motivation and desire to develop. In Dstl there are a wealth of training and initiatives to develop your skills to follow an exciting and fulfilling career.
In this role you will:
Collaborate across Dstl, with academia, with industry and international to exploit the best of Science and Technology to enhance military capabilities.
- Develop requirements and designs for the enhancement of existing capabilities and those of the future.
- Provide objective evidence based advice that will inform research direction and to advise MOD equipment procurement programmes.
- Provide technical leadership and apply systems engineering principles to promote effective and efficient project delivery.
- Build on customer relationships across the business to strengthen the reputation and standing of the Systems Engineering capability
As a Level 6 you will be responsible for technically leading projects and providing leadership with the technical areas you are working in.
We are looking for someone who has:
- The ability to consider the whole system and consequences of courses of action.
- The ability to adapt and embrace new ideas and apply to own work.
- A desire to use your extensive background in Systems Engineering to exhaustively interpret challenging customer requirements and provide sound guidance and advice
- A desire to innovate disruptive concepts to meet UK military requirements from an appreciation of global cutting edge science, readily available technologies and MoD research.
- The ability to work collaboratively, with good written and verbal communication skills across all levels of the business, accademia and industry.
- The ability to convey project information to a variety of stakeholders.
- The ability to be decisive wen decisions are needed to move a project forward.
- The ability to take charge of your own development by taking advantage of the training and development opportunities in Dstl to improve the quality of your work.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Working Together
- Communicating and Influencing
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Experience of applying systems methodologies to understand problems and their context, and to devise and test potential solutions
- Collaborating with desprate expertise from across different organisations to deliver coherent advice to key senior stakeholders
We’ll provide a great range of benefits including;
- Flexible working
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
- Chartership and accreditation support
- Generous annual leave
- A competitive salary
- Excellent learning and development
- Onsite gyms and restaurants
- Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
In the application process you will be asked to provide responses to questions regarding your skills, experience and suitability for the role.
Should you be selected to interview you will be invited to a technical and behavioural interview in relation to the full job description attached to this vacancy.
At Dstl we are committed to inclusivity and diversity within our workforce. During the application process we collect information to help us monitor this. It helps us better-understand our incoming workforce, as well as highlighting areas of improvement.
The information we request will be anonymised and therefore will not be used to make a decision about your application – no applicant or employee will ever be seen as more or less favourable based on disability, gender, martial or civil partnership status, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation or religion/belief.
The security of our work means that only UK nationals who have also resided in the UK for the last 5 years (10 years for certain roles) can be considered. Some roles will require Developed Vetting (DV). Unfortunately dual nationals cannot be considered.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.