Satellite Imaging. Geoanalytics. Insights.
For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we’ll take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we’re leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We’re fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We’re on the hunt for a Team Lead, Systems Engineering on our Space and Robotics team at our Kanata office. With 40 years of operational experience and proven performance on the iconic Canadarm programs including Space Shuttle and International Space Station robotics to integrating rover navigation sensors and software, to developing next-generation 3D LiDAR sensors for Space applications. Vision Systems and Sensors team has 100% mission success in making space dreams come true.
- This is a technical role with some management elements
- The Systems Engineering Team Lead applies technical knowledge and leadership to sustain and grow a team with the key technical skills necessary to ensure proper execution and delivery of our products and projects. Key technical areas include model based systems engineering, requirements management, system architecture, system integration, formal systems testing and delivery
- The Systems Engineering Team Lead also contributes to business development, customer interaction, and interaction with senior management regarding strategic operational issues and support
- Have responsibility for the overall hiring and maintaining skilled resources and managing their training and skills development, including career development, ensuring alignment with individual, departmental and corporate objectives
- Coach direct reports in setting personal achievement goals, supporting relevant learning and development and performance management
- Foster the elements essential to a safe and healthy workplace; promote and support safe and healthy workplace programs and practices; ensure employees are employing safe work methods
- Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Take technical software lead of a project as required performing requirements management, design, development, testing, and documentation
Resource Management (Staffing and Facilities):
- Assigns team members to projects, proposals and R&D activities taking into consideration skill set, task type, and experience and program team environment and identifies and manages staffing conflict between all programs
- Coordinates and approves employee vacation requests in conjunction with program demands
- Maintains appropriate staffing levels by regular analysis of program and department demands
- Establishes and regularly updates succession plans for key skills to avoid single point failures and bottlenecks in resource allocation
- Coordinates the procurement and usage of up to date software tools
- Proposes necessary capital investment items with proper financial justification and attention to budget and on time to support ongoing operations
- Performs and/or leads technical project work to deliver program requirements
- Collaborating with external and internal stakeholders to develop and decompose system level requirements, map to verification activities and manage requirements and verification throughout a project’s life cycle
- Performing trade studies, analyses and modeling in support of requirements and system development
- Developing test plans an procedures for engineering, qualification or flight level systems
- Driving the development of system architecture, design and interface documentation
- Review and approval of staff documents, models, and trade studies
- Provides labor estimates for cost estimation purposes
- Provides expert advice and technical direction to project teams as well advice on overall quality and effectiveness
- Coordinates and ensures distribution of lessons learned
- Promotes a success oriented culture that includes other disciplines to ensure successful project delivery
- Participates in and/or leads technical troubleshooting and problem solving investigations where failures or significant non-conformances have arisen
- Provides expert support to MRBs and customer enquiries where needed
Performance / Employee Support:
- Monitors and leads overall employee performance including technical quality, cost and schedule effectiveness and attendance
- Conducts annual performance appraisals of all members of the department with inputs from program teams and sets individual objectives aligned with departmental goals and overall divisional strategic objectives
- Establishes regular training and mentoring plans for the group and provide or arrange individual coaching where necessary
- Ensures group competency remains abreast of state of the art techniques
Process development, maintenance and application:
- Supports internal and external audits and ensure corrective actions are implemented as required
- Ensures proper application and adherence to overall company policies and processes by staff in the department
- Proposes, develops and maintains departmental specific policies, processes and work instructions and leads process improvement initiatives
- Develops and maintains standards and make ensure that they are readily accessible
- Ensure application of these standards by the staff in order to improve efficiency and maintain quality
- Acts as process owner for all departmental processes and ensure they are current and relevant by performing regular reviews and updates
- Supports Senior Engineering Manager in capital planning for the department
- Promotes cost awareness among staff members including engineering accountability for estimated work
- Monitors and facilitates achievement of major program milestones on time by optimizing resource allocation and providing expert assistance where needed
Front End of the Business:
- Provides support to and participates in proposal activities including initial product designs, analyses, design documents and evaluating requirement compliance
- Makes recommendations to the product development organization for new products and R&D initiatives in line with the company’s strategic direction
- Supports and coordinates patent applications in conjunction with the product development organization
- Ensure that the company’s trade secrets and proprietary information that provide competitive advantage are protected and handled securely
- Performs other tasks when required; leading proposals at the front end of the business where needed, managing small projects or parts thereof and providing support to subcontract management
- Candidate must have demonstrated superior ability for people skills, conflict resolution and leadership skills
- Engineering or equivalent degree, baccalaureate or higher
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the field of systems engineering, preferably in the space industry
- Experience in current System Engineering approaches (eg. INCOSE, ISO15288) and how they are applied
- Experience with MBSE, SysML/UML, and other dynamics modelling approaches is desirable
- Experience in leading teams of people in a dynamic environment
- Excellent verbal, written communication skills are essential to this position
We’re a dream team of purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate people, and we are constantly looking for others to join #TeamMDA to ignite new and innovative approaches to problem-solving that push us forward to improve life on and above Earth. If you’re excited to expand our place in space and driven to inspire the next generation, we’ll take you there.
We have entered a new era of exploration and development, and MDA welcomes all who yearn to suit up and be part of it. An equal opportunity employer prizing diversity, integrity and collaboration, we are committed to growing MDA’s and Canada’s leadership in this next golden age.
Successful candidates must obtain and hold security clearance at the reliability status level and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and ITAR.
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at all locations. As a team member of MDA, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection through competitive health care including; extended healthcare and flexible drug plans, dental and vision benefits, disability income protection, life insurance, group retirement savings plans; and an employee and family assistance program.
Equal opportunity statement:
MDA is an equal opportunity employer prizing diversity and inclusion. We are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity. If you require assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please feel free to notify us.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: Strengthening our workforce is more important than ever to meet our customers’ mission-critical needs. We are continuing to hire many talented people, and we are closely monitoring COVID-19 to ensure safe hiring practices are used. This includes limiting onsite candidate interviews and prioritizing video interviews.
With a priority on maintaining the safety of our employees, customers and communities, MDA has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy for employees and visitors. Please speak to a recruiter for more details.