Telespazio Vega is the first choice aerospace company for IT and engineering solutions & services. We combine 40 years of experience in high-technology markets, where trust and quality are essential.
An exciting opportunity for an experienced SAR Scientist to join the Telespazio UK team, working on site at ESTEC, to support SAR mission requirements and activities for future Sentinel missions.
The duties of the successful individual will focus on Mission Science support to future Copernicus SAR Sentinel missions under definition or implementation by ESA. This includes support to mission requirements consolidation and maintenance, traceability to user needs, assessment and documentation of information products to be generated by the missions, their accuracy as a function of the satellite and Level-1 characteristics and to verify these can be achieved based on the mission design choices.
The new personnel will be expected to support the Mission Advisory Group (MAG) meetings, research and formulation of mission requirements, defining and supporting the management of relevant studies with the applications and science community, and performing analyses and investigations into critical mission science issues linked to products and product implementation (e.g. end to end performance analyses).
Responsibilities / Duties
Typical duties for the successful candidate will be;
- Providing support to the management of the mission requirements for Copernicus SAR missions and the Mission Scientist(s)
- Supporting the implementation and running of the Copernicus ROSE-L and Sentinel-1 Next Generation (S1 NG) MAG and Expert Group activities
- Defining and helping to manage mission requirement consolidation studies for S1 NG, to interpret user requirements provided by the European Commission (EC) and the Copernicus user community, and establish methods to evaluate the end-to-end performance of the mission with respect to product quality
- Defining and helping to manage studies and campaigns required to address any critical issues during the S1 NG and ROSE-L mission development
- Assessing in detail the implications of “continuity of service” as a priority requirement for S1 NG, with respect to the current generation of Sentinel-1
- Documenting and developing the synergies between C-band and L-band Copernicus SAR missions operating as a system of systems
- Supporting the definition of the ground segment requirements and interface requirements, regarding Level 1 / Level 2 processor implementation and data distribution to the end users.
- Supporting the coordination of collaborative efforts with similar missions from other, national Space Agencies (e.g. NISAR/NASA, SAOCOM/CONAE, PalSAR-2 and PalSAR-4/JAXA)
- Developing and documenting a framework for error budgets for Level-2 information products guaranteed by the SAR missions (e.g. through the use and further elaboration of End-to-end performance frameworks)
- Supporting the definition of Level-2 information products guaranteed by the SAR missions
- Preparation of documents and technical notes as required in support of the Project.
Qualifications / Experience
- Ideally PhD (or minimum University Master’s degree) (or equivalent) in Remote Sensing, SAR or related Scientific/Engineering discipline.
- Knowledge of remote sensing principles, retrieval techniques, error assessment.
- Strong fundamental background in SAR remote sensing including technical characteristics of SAR satellites
- Proficiency in the programming and use of software focused on managing satellite data, image analyses, transformation of Level-1 data into geophysical information products and statistical and error analyses
- Familiarity with the Copernicus Programme including the programme goals, the role of the Space Component and the status and scope of Copernicus Services
- Demonstrated interest in the wider context of Copernicus and its role with respect to EC policies and priorities
- Familiarity with Level 1 and Level 2 processing of satellite SAR data
- Experience in the development of Algorithm Theoretical Baseline Documents (ATBDs)
- Proactive and analytical attitude to solving problems
- Good English language skills
- Good organizational, communication and management skills
- Able to work independently and in international teams
Competitive Package covering salary, generous holiday allowance, training plan and more