The high-tech and innovative Terma Group develops products and systems for defense, non-defense and security applications, including command and control systems, radar systems, self-protection systems for aircraft and vessels, space technology, and aero-structures for the aircraft industry. Terma is headquartered at Aarhus, Denmark. Internationally, Terma has subsidiaries and operations in The Netherlands, France, Germany, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, India, Singapore, and the U.S.
For our customer, Eumetsat in Darmstadt, Germany, we are seeking for a Copernicus Mission Control Systems Operations Service Engineer
The Engineer will perform tasks related to mission control system operations and engineering for the following missions:
- Copernicus Sentinel-3 mission: for routine Sentinel-3A operations, as well as for the commissioning phase for Sentinel-3B leading to the routine operations phase for the dual satellite system.
- Copernicus Sentinel-6/Jason-CS mission: for routine operations of S6
Typical activities to be undertaken are:
- Scheduling and coordination of daily operations;
- Monitor the status of the mission control system and perform daily checks to confirm nominal status and performance;
- Monitor the status of the mission control system interfaces to other facilities;
- Contribute to raising, processing and coordinating anomalies, their documentation, investigation, classification and resolution/mitigation, including participation in relevant Anomaly Review Boards;
- Provision of support, as required, to critical and/or special operations;
- Contribute to the design, development, documentation and maintenance of mission control operations procedures identified from operational needs;
- Contribute to the design, development, documentation and maintenance of system and ground segment procedures identified from operational needs
- Contribute to the design, development, documentation and maintenance of specific tool/scripts identified from operational needs;
- Perform operational validation of the operational procedures and coordinate specific operational validation test (OVT) campaigns, resulting in new or updated operational documentation;
- Support the update of other inter-organization documentation, including but not limited to Joint Operations Rules and Procedures (JORP) or Operational Interface Control Documents (OICDs), Interconnection Security Agreement (ISA).
To the Engineer it is requested to provide on-call support, on an “as needed” basis. This will be coordinated with the service manager through the normal on-call process;
This is a full-time position to be located at Eumetsat’s premises in Germany
Qualifications & Competencies
In addition to having a university degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, you shall have following knowledge:
Essential skills are:
- Min. 3 years of experience in the operation of spacecraft control systems using SCOS-2000
- Min. 3 years of experience of developing and/or maintaining spacecraft mission control systems software;
- Demonstrated experience in the definition and implementation of the verification and validation of spacecraft mission control systems;
- Demonstrated experience with UNIX/Linux operating systems;
- Ability to communicate effectively in English (verbally and written);
- Ability to conduct all activities in an orderly and disciplined manner, shall be able to work under pressure and with a minimum of supervision.
- Willing and able to travel for trainings and workshops
Desirable experience or knowledge:
- experience in the use of databases and SQL-related querying in relation to spacecraft mission control systems;
- experience in the definition, development, integration and acceptance testing of spacecraft mission control systems;
- experience in the operations preparation and routine operations of Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite systems ;
- experience of Oracle databases;
- experience of using configuration management systems such as CVS;
- experience of using satellite simulators;
- familiarity with ECSS and CCSDS standards related to space-to-ground interfaces and applicable to Satellite Monitoring & Control Systems: Packet Telemetry and Telecommand standards, PUS (Packet Utilisation Standard), etc.;
- familiarity with flight dynamics and mission planning functions and systems as applied to satellite operations
You must be able to fulfil the assigned tasks with a minimum of supervision, have a systematic approach to work, be able to plan your work and cope with tight schedules and multiple tasks. You will have the capability to write accurate and consistent technical documentation. Good communication skills (verbal and written) are important. You shall be willing to work in a team of engineers and in cooperation with industry and partner agencies.
What can Terma offer
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
- Great opportunities for training and personal development
- Challenges in advanced technical environment
- International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
- An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
- Highly competitive salary
Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer.
Please apply with up-to-date Curriculum Vitae ideally in Europass format (https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/home) and a Cover Letter.
Please note that applicants must hold all appropriate documentation and permits to work in Europe.