The high-tech and innovative Terma Group develops products and systems for defense, non-defense and security applications, including command and control systems, radar systems, self-protection systems for aircraft and vessels, space technology, and aero-structures for the aircraft industry. Terma is headquartered at Aarhus, Denmark. Internationally, Terma has subsidiaries and operations in The Netherlands, France, Germany, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, India, Singapore, and the U.S.
This customer support role will assist Hosted Processing tenants in the setup of their required virtual environment, support user issues related to cloud processing and EUMETSAT data and provide a first level ensuring the smooth operations of the cloud services for all tenants.
The Hosted Processing relays on a cloud infrastructure develop and maintained in house. The infrastructure is based on VMware, Kubernetes and Openstack and the Hosted processing support engineer will have multiple tools to automatize and frustrate the tenants operations (AWS, Morpheus, etc).
Typical activities to be undertaken are:
- Provide first level support for Hosted Processing/ICSI problems:
- Assist users with the set-up of the infrastructure, the processing and response to related queries,
- Monitor resources and user activities to avoid impacts of their processing on the system or other users.
- Support user on-boarding to Hosted processing environment:
- Identification of intended workflows (“use case assessment”) and scaling requirements,
- Provisioning/Preparation of relevant support scripts / tools (application support)
- Offer technical solutions to cloud customers regarding user cases, and being able to deploy those solutions in an automated way.
- Define, set-up and maintain a range of VM environments (“images”) reflecting user needs for hosted processing applications and allowing HP tenants to choose and pre-configure their specific environment (e.g. Batch environment, processing environment with relevant tools, user environments extending over various VM’s) in a Cloud Application Management such as Morpheus;
- Train tenants on how to use the Hosted Processing environment and provide suitable documentation (e.g. user guides);
- Support the maintenance of the EO datasets on the systems;
- Interact closely with 2nd level engineering support for Cloud Infrastructure.
This is a full time position, located at EUMETSAT (Darmstadt), Germany.
Fluency in English (spoken and written) is mandatory, as English is the working language.
The variety of the tasks and the scope of the systems to be supported require a high degree of autonomy and good analytical skills together with the ability to effectively cooperate within the team.
Qualifications & Competencies
Applicants shall have a university degree in computer science (or equivalent). You should have proven knowledge and work experience with the following:
- GNULinux administration using different distributions (SLES, RHEL, Ubuntu);
- Automation (AWS, Morpheus) and monitoring (CheckMK, Nagios);
- Experience in operations and production environments;
Proven knowledge and hands-on experience with the following is mandatory:
- Definition, implementation, testing and documentation of end-to-end system changes;
- Preparation of technical documentation in English in a complete and clear manner;
- Communication and interpersonal skills, being able to effectively communicate and coordinate activities within different teams;
- Experience with customer communication and management. The candidate shall be able to identify customer needs and requirements, provide technical guidance to customers with different technical background, design and implement reusable user cases and workflows, identify feasible or impractical requirements and transfer feasible requirements to the Cloud Infrastructure support team.
- The candidate should be able to provide technical guidance to customers and distinguish the differences between concepts like IaaS and PaaS; Kubernetes, Openstack, and VMware; openstack instance, Container and VM; Volumes and Images, etc.
Proven knowledge and at least 3 years hands-on experience with at least 3 of the following technical aspects is mandatory:
- Good understanding of virtualization technologies (VMware);
- Good understanding of cloud infrastructure (Openstack, Docker, Kubernetes);
- Good understanding of core services management (DNS / LDAP / DHCP / NFS / unattended installation services, etc );
- Good understanding of network and storage infrastructure.
- Basic understanding on tools and services like Python, R, Anaconda, Jupiter, pip, package management, etc.
Knowledge and hands-on experience with the following would be an advantage:
- Basic knowledge about netcdf, hdf5.
- Usage of Atlassian tools such as Jira and Confluence
- Hands on experience with docker containers and similar
What can Terma offer
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
- Great opportunities for training and personal development
- Challenges in advanced technical environment
- International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
- An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
- Highly competitive salary
Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer.
For further information, please contact Mrs. Raluca Moise by telephone [+49 6151 860050] or by email [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Please apply through the link below with a up-to-date Curriculum Vitae ideally in Europass format (https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/home) and a Cover Letter.
Please note that applicants must hold all appropriate documentation and permits to work in Europe.