Terma provides mission-critical solutions in aerospace, defense and security that help protect people. We offer advanced technologies and services for a range of specific application areas – and our customers operate on land, at sea, in the air, or in space assets.
The high-tech and innovative Terma Group develops products and systems for defence, non-defence and security applications, including command and control systems, radar systems, self-protection systems for aircraft and vessels, space technology, and aero-structures for the aircraft industry.
Terma is headquartered at Aarhus, Denmark. Internationally, Terma has subsidiaries and operations in The Netherlands, France, Germany, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, India, Singapore and the U.S.
The Space Business Area contributes with mission-customized software and hardware products including power systems and star trackers as well as services to support a number of in-orbit pioneering European scientific and Earth observation satellite missions. Additionally, Terma is contracted for the development and delivery of software and hardware systems and services for numerous ongoing and future European, and international missions.
Terma Space operates out of Denmark, The Netherlands, France, Germany, the UK.
For our customer, the European Space Agency (ESA), we are seeking an experienced space On-board Software Engineer to work at ESA’s ESTEC site in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
You will be assigned to ESA/ESTEC’s Flight Software Systems Section, within the Directorate of Technical and Quality Management, in the function of On-board Software System Engineer, and will be in charge of the following (initial) tasks:
- Supporting a variety of ESA space missions in the field of real-time embedded software and systems;
- Participating in the full development lifecycle of the mission and on-board software;
- Identifying technical risks and critical areas in the development process while assisting in their resolution;
- Applying the principles of mission & safety critical software development across multiple disciplines;
- Providing expert technical support and consultancy to general studies in the field of real-time embedded software systems, flight software systems development and software validation facilities focused on both simulated environments and hardware in the loop.
- This is a full-time position located at ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
The requested start of work is September/October 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Qualifications & Competencies
The successful candidate shall have:
- A Master degree or equivalent qualification in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Space Systems Engineering, Mathematics or a related discipline.
- At least 4 years’ experience in real-time software and embedded software, ideally acquired in the space sector.
- In particular, experience with:
- Modern software engineering methods and tools;
- Real-time embedded software and Real Time Kernels;
- Software development projects and knowledge of all phases of the software development lifecycle;
- Programming languages: C, Ada, C++ and/or others;
- Micro-processors such as SPARC LEON, ARM, multicore’s etc;
- Communication protocols (Mil-1553, SpaceWire, CAN);
- Knowledge and experience with Software Engineering standards such as the ECSS-E-ST-40C.
- Knowledge of spacecraft systems would be an advantage.
- Be able to function as part of a team.
- Because of the operational nature of the support, a proactive and flexible attitude will be required.
What can Terma Offer?
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
- Great opportunities for training and personal development
- Challenges in advanced technical environment
- International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
- An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
- Highly competitive salary
- Support on re-location (if applicable)
- Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer.
To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed please apply through the ‘Apply’ link below. Include an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter highlighting your background and expertise as well as earliest date of availability.