To lead innovation, manufacturing and operations
Be more than just an employee number! Join Terran Orbital, the leader in innovation, manufacturing and operations in the small satellite industry. We are a pioneer in the miniaturization of space technologies and the delivery of responsive space solutions. We are a unique, fast growing, and trusted team focused on quickly and economically designing, building, launching, and operating state-of-the-art satellites for advanced mission constellations.
Spacecraft Thermal Engineers are involved in all aspects of a spacecraft lifetime. They support spacecraft thermal systems configuration from concept level through design reviews, design verification, and operations. In addition to predictive and analytical work, Spacecraft Thermal Engineers may serve on-console during spacecraft test activities and/or operations which can include periods of off-hours or on call work.
This role is 100% onsite.
- Work with a multidisciplinary team to reduce thermal risk by identifying the constraining elements of a thermal design and recommend mitigation strategies from concept level to design, production, and operation
- Work with spacecraft system engineers to reduce spacecraft CONOPS (Concept of Operations) into representative thermal design scenarios
- Develop thermal models of active and passive thermal designs using a mixture of numerical solutions and hand calculations of spacecraft systems, subsystems, avionics, and mechanisms that predict temperature margins in a variety of space thermal environments
- Participate in spacecraft build and testing campaigns related to the thermal design aspect of the spacecraft
- Prepare technical documents and PowerPoint presentations, develop thermal verification test plans and support test activities, monitor and correlation test results to model predictions
- Develop summaries to present results of analysis and tests to Managers, Customers, and/or Stakeholders
- Develop tools to support concept trade studies and post-processing analysis
- Other duties may be assigned as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with a Thermal focus or similar
- Minimum of three (3) years of direct experience working on space applications where radiation/ conductions thermal analysis was used to close mission requirements/ challenges
- Must possess an understanding of the basic principles of radiation and conduction heat transfer in conjunction with space environment heating effects and parameters associated with spaceflight applications
- Proven knowledge of spacecraft mission design and associated subsystems.
- Strong knowledge of spacecraft thermal management and surface treatments
- Knowledge of environmental requirements, engineering, thermal vacuum/ambient pressure testing and hands on engineering project experience including use of data acquisition systems
- Comfortable working in fast-paced, start-up environment with a strong desire to be a key contributor on a small team
- Highly responsible team player with positive attitude and excellent communication and documentation skills
- Experience with Solidworks or other CAD software
- Experience developing detailed thermal and simplified thermal models for spacecraft systems, subsystems, and components
- Proficiency with computational scripting languages (Matlab, Python, Mathematica, etc)
- Strong desire to develop tools to automate repetitive tasks that reduce analysis turnaround time
- Proficiency with Thermal Desktop is a must
- Master of Science degree in Mechanical or Aerospace engineering with a Thermal focus or similar desired
- Master of Science degree substitutes for 2 years’ experience
- Experience with build integration and testing of propulsion, thermal, electrical and/or structural systems; including, but not limited to: vibration, shock, thermal, vacuum, and radiation testing
- Experience in a production environment within the space/ aerospace industry
Up to 10% Travel is anticipated. Occasional off-site testing support at local test facilities and to support program milestones as needed.
- Employee Equity Incentive Program
- Company-paid comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401(K) Match
- Unlimited PTO
To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In addition, please note that this position may also require the possession of an existing United States National Security clearance or eligibility for such a clearance.
ABOUT TERRAN ORBITAL:
Founded in 2013 in Irvine, California, with headquarters in Boca Raton, Florida. Terran Orbital is a leading manufacturer of small satellites primarily serving the United States and Allied aerospace and defense industries. Terran Orbital provides end-to-end satellite solutions by combining satellite design, production, launch planning, mission operations, and in-orbit support to meet the needs of the most demanding military, civil, and commercial customers.
Terran Orbital is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.