To accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy
What to Expect
Tesla’s actuator team designs and builds actuators for humanoid bi-pedal robots (Tesla Bot). The team joins mechanical, electrical, and electromagnetic engineering disciplines in a highly collaborative environment.
This position is critical to the development of the high-performance electromechanical rotary and linear actuator systems for humanoid bi-pedal robots (Tesla Bot). Tesla actuators need to deliver high performance, efficiency, and torque (force) density. You will join the team of electromagnetic motor design engineers to develop the most torque and force dense rotary and linear actuator systems in the world.
As part of the design team, you will be responsible for mechanical design and integration of the actuator components. You will also support industrialization and production activities.
What You’ll Do
- Mechanical design and integration of rotary and linear electromechanical actuators.
- Collaboration with electromagnetic motor design engineers to develop the most torque dense and efficient electromechanical actuator systems in the world.
- Design and integration of rotary and linear speed reduction systems for high performance motion control actuator applications.
- Collaboration with supply chain, vendor, and manufacturing engineers.
- Continuously evaluate new technologies and design improvements to develop the most power dense, efficient, low cost, and reliable electric motors and actuators.
- Design and build motor and actuator prototypes for the validation of mechanical and electromechanical performance.
- Basic fabrication, machining, wiring, general electronics, debugging, and parts chasing.
- Strong skills in CAD (CATIA, NX, Inventor, Solid Works, etc.).
- Programming skills in Matlab/Simulink are preferred.
What You’ll Bring
- BS in Mechanical, Mechatronic, or Aerospace Engineering, or equivalent.
- 3+ years experience with design of rotary and linear electromechanical actuators for motion control applications.
- Demonstrate successful experience in mechanical engineering in a product design and manufacturing environment.
- Excellent experience with design and integration of high-performance electromechanical actuators (thermal, gear and speed reduction, bearing, structural design).
- Experience with thermal analysis and design for passive (natural convection) and active cooling (forced air and liquid).
- Hands-on experience, previous internship and/or project experience is preferred.
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.