To accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy
Tesla’s Mobile Robotics team designs and builds humanoid bi-pedal robots (Tesla Bot) and wheeled vehicles for manufacturing and autonomous logistics. The team joins mechanical, electrical, controls, software, and manufacturing engineering disciplines in a highly collaborative team.
Core to the Tesla Bot and wheeled vehicle’s full autonomy, the perception stack presents a unique opportunity to work on state-of-the-art algorithms for state estimation and motion planning, culminating in their deployment to real world production applications. The perception software engineer will develop and own this stack from inception to deployment. The ideal candidate will have previous hands-on experience developing humanoid bi-pedal robot perception solutions for commercial applications.
- Build, integrate, and deploy real-time state-of-the-art perception models and algorithms into existing system architecture
- Develop online and offline state estimation algorithms by fusing information from cameras, IMUs, and other sensors
- Test and debug your solutions in realistic situations including in customer applications
- Validate and document performance of algorithms and models in real and simulated environments
- Design and build automatic data pipelines that create high quality, unbiased ground truth labels for neural network model training and deployment
- Create robust sensor calibration routines that perform reliably in complex and unpredictable environments
- Bachelors in Robotics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional abilities
- 3+ years of experience writing production code in C++ and Python
- Experience with sensors, algorithms, and data structures related to localization and mapping, obstacle avoidance, semantic segmentation and tracking, motion planning and trajectory optimization
- Strong background in core robotics, including kinematic/dynamic modeling, Bayesian state estimation (e.g., MAP, MMSE, MLE), 3D reconstruction, structure-from-motion, visual odometry, visual inertial odometry, bundle adjustment
- Working knowledge of Git and Linux environments
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.