To accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy
Tesla’s Mobile Robotics team designs, builds, and deploys systems enabling scalable and flexible manufacturing lines for Tesla’s growing product and factory portfolio. The team joins mechanical, electrical, software, and manufacturing engineering disciplines in a highly collaborative team.
The test engineer will develop test processes, data infrastructure, test equipment, and automated test scripts that will accelerate the production of mobile robotics systems. In addition, the test engineer will be tasked with understanding ways the system can fail, designing tests to validate, and driving improvements with the design teams to address these issues. Due to the variation in the robots produced, the test systems is a particularly challenging and dynamic area of the program.
- Participate in initial cross-functional product development and carefully balance product specifications, process requirements, manufacturing complexity, cost, and lead-time limits.
- Define and implement efficient plans for testing, automating and improving focusing on time/cost reduction and low complexity.
- Own and drive hardware validation efforts for electrical and mechanical systems. Your job is to figure out how these products could fail and to collaborate with design partners to drive changes.
- Write and maintain test software to automate test execution, data collection and data analysis
- Manage tests from setup through execution and reporting, including test planning, development, execution, inspections, root cause analysis, data processing, documenting, and failure analysis.
- Develop and maintain validation schedules, coordinate test resources, and communicate status/blockers to program managers
- Actively participate in design reviews and DFMEAs to shape product towards reliability and deepen understanding of product risks
- Organize cross functional teams (internal + external)
- Document, organize, and track testing progress and provide updates to the team and upper management.
- BS/MS in Mechanical, Electrical, Mechatronics, or Computer Engineering with strong demonstrable engineering experience
- Ability to draw electrical circuit diagrams. Basic working understanding of Electrical and Mechanical Systems Required
- Exposure to a variety of test and automation systems, production machinery, sensors, data acquisition and I/O devices (ie, pogo-pins, pressure transducers, temperature controllers, current and power meters, PLCs, etc)
- Experience with programming languages is a plus (Python, C#, C++, Java, etc)
- Experience creating and executing design validation plans and test methods to validate performance or reliability requirements
- Working experience interfacing software with electrical test equipment or other data acquisition hardware
- Experience transitioning products and processes from prototype to production desired
- Experience with hardware validation from school projects, internships or industry experience
- Comfort with and ability to work across multiple engineering disciplines (mechanical, electrical, software)