Design Engineer – Mechanical/Chemical/Aerospace
Thales Group is a French multinational company that designs and builds electrical systems and provides services for the aerospace, defence, transportation and security markets.
We’re inventing the future, right here, right now, at Thales. We design the critical security solutions of tomorrow by combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create. Together we solve complicated problems by combining our experience in the market with our leading research and development capabilities.
Why Join Thales?
- Join the exciting, challenging and fast-paced Guided Weapons, Space and Hypersonics capabilities programs established in Thales’ Australian Munitions business, our team is growing – fast!
- Exciting and important opportunities as we build the team of the future.
- You will thrive in a company that has deep experience in research and development, through to large scale industrial manufacturing – and all the opportunities that will bring.
- We operate with a collaborative approach with customers, industry partners, suppliers and other key stakeholders.
- Join a diverse and growing global organisation with a rich history and critical capabilities that support both Defence and commercial customers, we are proud of everything we do as we Build a Future We Can All Trust.
About the Position
We have multiple positions available. Design Engineers will contribute to the design, production design, test & evaluation and production management of large rocket motors through the High-Speed Weapons Program. Engineers will be appointed to research, development and production projects as required. Working with our customers, partners and sub-contractors you will be given opportunities to position yourself for a role as a future leader through undertaking task, work-package and product management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Understanding project and task context and customer needs
- Developing feasible technical solutions including:
- the adequacy of the solution in term of architecture and technology maturity with respect to solution requirements;
- the consistency of the technical solution within the business’ strategy;
- the feasibility with respect to cost, schedule, skills, resources and industrial organisation.
- Collaborate with other design, senior design, and system engineers to deliver assigned tasks, work packages and products – and to support them in their assigned tasks, work packages and products.
- Advise, report to and support the Solutions Engineering Manager, Project manager and Product Design Authority on relevant products, projects and tasks in a professional manner.
- Undertake assigned activities, duties, tasks and responsibilities to satisfy the requirements of instructions given, relevant contract requirements and obligations, Thales business management systems, and all other legal and regulatory requirements.
- Deliver design outcomes for technical solutions that consider and balance manufacturability, maintainability, consistency, balance of non-recurring & recurring/production costs.
- Operate within the directed engineering environment (process, practices and tools) for the technical solution, and identify associated risks and opportunities for consideration by a relevant delegate.
- Deliver intellectually, physically and commercially “robust” technical solutions.
How about you?
- IEAust recognised Chemical, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering degree
- Design development experience on complex systems and an industrialisation environment
- Experience in the defence, aerospace and manufacturing sectors will be well-regarded
Good to Know
You’ll get an email acknowledgement after you’ve applied, Thales strives to provide a personalised experience for all suitable applicants.
As a Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and eligible to obtain and maintain an appropriate clearance. To learn more about clearances please visit – http://www.defence.gov.au/AGSVA/
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) are applicable and as such, your nationality may be a factor in determining your suitability for this role.
Prior to offer you’ll complete a pre-employment police and medical check. Thales also complies with current public health orders in place and as such you may be requested to provide your COVID-19 vaccination record.
For more information on Thales visit us @ThalesCareers on Instagram
Thales is committed to promoting and maintaining a workplace culture of shared respect that enables all of us to feel valued, do our best, and remain truly passionate about the place that we work. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive workplace. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and individuals from diverse backgrounds.
We are also proud to be a WORK180 Endorsed Employer for Women. If you would like to know more on how we are supporting our employees, you can view our policies and initiatives here: https://work180.com/en-AU/for-women/employer/thales.
Wellbeing matters at Thales, and where possible we encourage flexible working.