Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Airspace Mobility Solutions, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
We’re inventing the future, right here, right now, at Thales. We design the critical security solutions of tomorrow by combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create. Together we solve complicated problems by combining our experience in the market with our leading research and development capabilities.
Thales is committed to promoting and maintaining a workplace culture of shared respect that enables all of us to feel valued, do our best, and remain truly passionate about the place that we work. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and individuals from diverse backgrounds. Talk to us about any support or accessibility requirements you may need and how we support flexibility in the workplace.
Wellbeing matters at Thales, and where possible we encourage a flexible work culture.
About Your Role
The Research & Development Team in Australian Munitions is across the Benalla and Mulwala sites. The Development Chemist/Engineer role is located in Mulwala and is mainly focused on R&D in energetic materials.
These include R&D on new materials, processes, method development, test methods, propellants, explosives and pyrotechnic compositions, ordnance products (such as small, medium and large calibre ammunition, grenades, fuzes, etc).
- Perform laboratory, small scale/pilot plant operations and production trials with both energetic and non-energetic materials to support R&D development programs
- Initiate and manage small and medium development projects investigating propellants, explosives and chemicals
- Provide scientific and technical input and direction to a range of R&D projects relating to propellants, explosives and chemicals
- Provide support for the preparation of quotes, estimates, proposals, contract assessments and presentations
- Liaise with all stakeholders, supply, and production and quality personnel at all levels
How About You?
- Professionally recognised qualification in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering
- Proven experience in an R&D environment and specifically the Product Development Processes including research techniques, prototyping, standards, quality and safety (advantageous)
- Knowledge of energetic material formulation, rocket motors, design and manufacture and ballistics would be highly advantageous
- A high level of interpersonal influence and stakeholder management skills, as well as the ability to work at multiple levels of the organisation
Good to Know
- You’ll get an email acknowledgement after you’ve applied, Thales strives to provide a personalised experience for all suitable applicants.
- As a Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and eligible to obtain and maintain an appropriate clearance. To learn more about clearances please visit – http://www.defence.gov.au/AGSVA/
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) are applicable and as such, your nationality may be a factor in determining your suitability for this role.
- Prior to offer you’ll complete a pre-employment police and medical.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!