In Aerospace, governments, airports, airlines, pilots, crews and passengers rely on Thales to make flight safer, easier and more efficient. We do this by designing, delivering and supporting the systems that keep our skies running. From air traffic management, training and simulation solutions, nose-to-tail aircraft connectivity and in-flight services, we enable and connect all parts of the aerospace ecosystem in the air, on the ground, and in between.
To support our growth, Thales Canada Defence & Security is looking to add a Junior Project Cost Controller to their finance team based in Ottawa reporting to the Business Control Manager.
In this role, you will act as the Project Controller of a project/s and provide financial leadership to the project team while representing Finance within the PMO organization and support Project Management for economical, finance and administrative tasks. You will compile Thales accounting & internal control process, and deliver on time with reliable and documented information and reports.
Key Job Functions:
- Responsible for cost control and ensures that it is in conformance with company’s policy
- Understand project commercial terms & conditions and ensure that the project is in compliance with all the terms and conditions of the contract
- Develops and prepares project budget and contract changes
- In Collaboration with PMO maintain financial budget and Estimate At Completion in Primavera.
- Ensures internal control of project costing and maintains contract documents, including Project financial key data (Sales/GM/AGM/Risk & Opportunity/WIP/AR/Inventory)
- Monthly control check & reconciliation of Bottom-up forecast from Primavera to the latest approved Estimate At Completion. Validate jointly with Project Management Office and Finance Manager to resolve any inconsistency and Estimate At Completion changes.
- Prepares, validate with Project Manager the monthly re-forecasting of Sales, Gross Margin, Cost Variance, Adjusted Gross Margin and Cash-in and ensure that the information is in time to be integrated on the monthly Company Operational Budget Review (OBR)
- Perform monthly calculation of revenue and cost of sales – validating the adjusted gross margin for any changes
- Perform full charge accounting function for project.
- Perform reconciliation analysis on all project specific G/L accounts.
- Supports and provides timely project billing information.
- Project Cash monitoring and liaises with the Company’s Treasurer on project cash flow, foreign exchange exposure, hedging activities and customer cash collection.
- Produces monthly project report (Dashboard) and forecasts data package with major risks and opportunities identified. Of which main tasks are Actual cost validation, Commitment cost validation,
- Estimate to Complete (ETC) validation and control check.
- Produce external weekly and monthly reporting as required, monitoring actuals and budgets.
- Produce external task forecasts of project burn-rate for level of effort contracts as required.
- Prepares, validate with PM on an annual basis the 5 years Budget Plan.
- Support Business Control Manager in the maintenance and monitoring of Research & Development,
- Proposal and Internal Projects reporting.
- Perform reporting and analysis in line with the group reporting process.
- Support Business Control Manager in the monthly Project Control Group processes – Timesheet Admin, monthly programmatic consolidation of all projects, financial analysis.
Support or back-up internal pricing specialist on bids.
- Work on establishing overarching global project processes for improved monitoring and control.
- Supports with various internal and external audits as required.
- Perform special project assignments as requested.
Key Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor of Commerce or Bachelor of Arts (major in Accounting) or a related field
- 1+ years of experience in large multi-national or national organization or previous experience in project cost controlling
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel) is required
Experience in the Defense & Security sector is desirable
- Knowledge of SAP and Primavera (P6) is an asset
- Professional Accounting Designation (CPA) would be an asset
- This position requires direct or indirect access to hardware, software, technology or technical data controlled under the Canadian Export Control List, Canadian Controlled Goods Program, the Canadian Industrial Security Program, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants must be able to meet the eligibility requirements outlined in the Canadian Controlled Goods Program and able to obtain a Canadian NATO Secret clearance.
Thales is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. Thales is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the interview process. Applicants selected for an interview who require accommodation are asked to advise accordingly upon the invitation for an interview. We will work with you to meet your needs. All accommodation information provided will be treated as confidential and used only for the purpose of providing an accessible candidate experience.