In fast changing markets, customers worldwide rely on Thales. Thales is a business where brilliant people from all over the world come together to share ideas and inspire each other. In aerospace, transportation, defence, security and space, our architects design innovative solutions that make our tomorrow’s possible.
This role is Hybrid Victoria BC.
Thales is looking to hire a Technical Specialist – Mechanical, based in Victoria, BC, is to support the AJISS Service Delivery team with the management of defects for the Arctic and Offshore Patrol Vessels (AOPVs) and Joint Support Ships (JSS). The Technical Specialist – Mechanical also supports the AJISS Engineering and Supportability Team with various activities such as development and implementation of Engineering Changes, creation of Deviations & Waivers or survey on board the ship while alongside.
Key Areas of Responsibility
The Technical Specialist – Mechanical is accountable to the AJISS Engineering Services Lead and is required to:
- Conduct investigations either on board the ship while alongside or within the Technical Document Package (TDP).
- Liaise with OEMs, Service Providers and ship staff to support the investigation and resolution of defects.
- Develop Job Instruction and Statement of Work (SOW) to support the resolution of defects.
- Identify issues within the TDP and propose improvement/corrections.
- Support the Service Delivery team as required with the management of Service Providers conducting work on board the ship.
- Provision of technical advice to enable marine system and equipment to be correctly operated or maintained.
- Develop a good working relationship within Thales and the customer’s organization to ensure coordination and rapid resolution of issues.
- Support the Supportability team with the identification/assessment of alternate parts.
- Support the Supportability team with the assessment of obsolescence issues.
- Support the Engineering team with various activities such as development and implementation of Engineering Changes, creation of Deviations & Waivers or survey on board the ship while alongside.
- Canadian Red Seal (Mechanical, Millwright or Power Engineering) or Military QL5 certification in marine Engineering or equivalent.
- Possess a minimum of 5 years of demonstrated technical professional work experience in the marine/offshore sector within the last 10 years.
- Strong working knowledge in the maintenance, operation, design and/or troubleshooting of a wide range of marine systems.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written).
- Team player.
- Fluent in English.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Previous experience working within the Royal Canadian Navy or Canadian Coast Guard;
- Familiar with certification requirements including but not limited to Classification Society, SOLAS/IMO, IEEE, CSA, Naval Ship Code, and DND regulations is an asset.
- Mix of office work and work in dockyards and onboard Naval ships;
- Will be required to undertake inspections in machinery spaces of Naval ships involving bending and twisting;
- Willing to work aloft and in confined spaces on board ships (training to be provided);
Regulatory Compliance Requirements:
- Requires direct or indirect access to hardware, software, technology or technical data controlled under the Canadian Export Control List, the ITAR or the EAR
- Requires a positive Controlled Goods assessment as you will have direct access to hardware, software, technology or technical data controlled under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program
- Required to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance at the NATO Secret Level
Thales is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. Thales is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the interview process. Applicants selected for an interview who require accommodation are asked to advise accordingly upon the invitation for an interview. We will work with you to meet your needs. All accommodation information provided will be treated as confidential and used only for the purpose of providing an accessible candidate experience.