Building a future we can all trust
Thales people architect solutions that support 85 million mainline and suburban passenger journeys, worldwide, every day. Our Rail Signalling and Communication systems are used on metro lines across major cities, and 72,000 kms of route, 52,000 trains per day in 16 countries are controlled by our Traffic Management Systems. Together We deployed the first-ever nationwide ticketing system which processes over 50 million ticketing transactions in 100 cities daily. Thales has built a presence in Egypt for over 40 years and has today over 100 employees. Thales in Egypt is part of our Middle East business that has 1,800 people across Egypt, Iraq, Kuwait, KSA, Lebanon, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar and UAE. Together We delivered fare collection and control and communication systems for the first metro line in Africa, Metro Line 1 in Cairo. Since then we have continued to bring growth and security and safety to the country by upgrading these transportation systems as well as providing solutions for customers in air traffic management, air defence and Navy.
To manage the Systems Engineering Process to company and international standards for defined packages of work. To provide line management and technical leadership to Systems Engineers.
The Lead Systems Engineer typically works with a team of engineers to define what will be designed, how it will perform and how it will be determined that it is working correctly
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Converts requirements into conceptual designs and prepares associated documentation by performing operational analyses, simulations and technical trade-off studies evaluating alternative design configurations and functional features.
- Good understanding of the development lifecycle and lifecycle products.
- Interfacing with the client, to gain approval of test specifications and to host acceptance testing activities.
Help develop and execute Test Specifications including:
- Support the development of test plans and test strategy documents
- Support the development of test specifications, working from system requirements.
- Execute test specifications (according to test plan and project schedule)
- Record and/or authorise results of test execution
- Raise/investigate/verify defects
- Maintain quality target/standard
- Able to create designs from requirements using a variety of design toolsets
- Similarly creates new concepts or modifies existing concepts to fulfil requirements where necessary
- Prepares system & subsystem requirement specifications, interface requirements and test requirement documents by analysing, decomposing modelling and refining customer requirements.
- Prepares system operational plans and reports that explain how the equipment being developed meets requirements. Operational design limits are evaluated and defined; performance analyses and simulations are developed & performed to support the above.
- Performs technical/engineering tasks to define system design and subsystem requirements details.
- Analysis and simulations are performed as necessary to identify design feasibility & driving requirements.
- Supervises staff, by defining their work, coaching them on how and what to prepare, monitoring their progress and directing them on priorities.
- Proposes work package estimates and descriptions based on knowledge of the work and project requirements, ensuring that compliant solutions at optimum cost are identified.
- Develop, implement and maintain tools relevant to the Systems Engineering function.Manage the assessment of relevant tools.
- Defines or proposes updates of processes and standards covering the work and its products based on knowledge of systems engineering.
- Keep abreast of technical development in the Metro/railway signalling field both within and outside of the company.
- Manage the production of quality metrics to measure the soundness of the System Engineering processes under your control.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CERTIFICATION
- Engineering Degree
- A relevant Systems Engineering Manager Licence or equivalent
- Proven experience in metro and/or railways environments not less than 7 years
- The Lead Systems Engineers are the technical focal point for the System Engineering process and must resolve all issues, problems, questions and conflicts in the entire system. This requires frequent handling of new and unusual issues therefore a proven record of working in a Systems Engineering environment is required.
- The post holder should have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate at all levels in the spoken and written word. A good outward appearance, self-motivation and the ability to work under pressure are vital.
- The success of the Systems Engineering job family relies on the interaction of its engineers at all levels, therefore evidence of team working is required.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!