Thales Group is a French multinational company that designs and builds electrical systems and provides services for the aerospace, defence, transportation and security markets.
Thales people architect solutions that enable two-thirds of planes to take off and land safely. We create in-flight entertainment systems that engross 50 million fliers every year and we develop the avionics that control the world’s largest commercial aircrafts. Our simulators train the next generation of pilots for fighter jets, transporters and search and rescue helicopters. And, together, each and every member of our aerospace team makes a difference.
Thales is expanding its presence in India through the development a Group Engineering Competence Centre (ECC), reinforcing its position as a leader in all its markets. Launching in early 2019 in Bengaluru, the ECC will expand Thales’ footprint in its core business areas and cement its long-standing relationship with India. This ECC, the first of its kind in India, will focus on hardware, software and systems engineering capabilities for both the civil and defence sectors. India, and in particular Bengaluru, was chosen as the location for the new ECC due to the existing ecosystem – its proximity to the market, competence in research and development and abundance of skilled engineers. Both the needs of the local market and export markets will be catered for, meaning those who join Thales will have the opportunity of working on diverse projects with a high level of complexity, innovating in all the different markets we are present in. We’re inventing the future, right here, right now. By combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create, together we’re transforming the world around us.
Primary Purpose of the Role
- In charge of improving the efficiency of the team
- In charge of managing the competencies of the team
- In charge of developing people (assignment)
- In charge of conveying the Continuous Improvement message
- Ability to manage individuals assigned to multiple teams
- Ability to manage heterogeneous projects and technologies
- Able to handle different projects across ECC
- Reporting to HoD (a kind of deputy in efficiency, continuous improvement and people management axis)
- Part of the EM/HoD network with the home BL(s)
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Assess the team competencies
- Ability to plan and implement continuous improvement for respective teams based on project objectives
- Create development plans for individuals based on gap analysis of the competencies
- Assess the individuals and deploy / map right members to the projects
- Ability to look ahead and devise actions to improve team productivity
- Responsible for the Estimation, Planning and Execution
- Proactively drives resolution of cross-functional dependencies for execution
- Efficiently manages the resources (staff, software & hardware)
- Can act as Scrum Master, upholds Agile values and principles.
- Organizes and facilitates the reviews planned in Scrum.
- Can act as a Product Owner, defines the order in which the features will be developed.Specifies the need, gives acceptance criteria, sets the expected level of functional quality, flags any ambiguities, and validates the completed features. Can act as a Work package Manager, being responsible for scope, budget and schedule of the assigned
- Work Other duties as assigned by the manager
- Work closely with WPM / BL Local Manager / HOD
- Project Management, communication skills
- Business acumen, writing skills
- Problem solving / analytical skills
- Ability to asses individuals / feedback providing
- Creativity in detecting and provoking possible problems
- Good understanding of SDLC including Integration and post-delivery support
- Sound knowledge of Agile and common tools (JIRA, VersionOne)
- Good motivator / Team leader
- Attention to detail
- High level of proficiency in MS products such as Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint
- Agile experience
- Ability to work with minimal direction
- Experience in FMS – Avionics industry
- Minimum six (5) years’ of experience in an Engineering Manager position; with 10-15 years of overall experience
- Ability to handle teams with various levels of skill set
- Understanding of software development methods with exposure to product development and having worked hands-on in the field of FMS Software Development
- Keen interest to learn newer technologies / methods / processes and implement the best practices
- Thorough knowledge of standards and driving process mindset within the teams
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!