Building a future we can all trust
In fast changing markets, customers worldwide rely on Thales. Thales is a business where brilliant people from all over the world come together to share ideas and inspire each other. In aerospace, transportation, defence, security and space, our architects design innovative solutions that make our tomorrow’s possible. Thales is expanding its presence in India through the development a Group Engineering Competence Centre (ECC), reinforcing its position as a leader in all its markets. Launching in early 2019 in Bengaluru, the ECC will expand Thales’ footprint in its core business areas and cement its long-standing relationship with India. This ECC, the first of its kind in India, will focus on hardware, software and systems engineering capabilities for both the civil and defence sectors. India, and in particular Bengaluru, was chosen as the location for the new ECC due to the existing ecosystem – its proximity to the market, competence in research and development and abundance of skilled engineers. Both the needs of the local market and export markets will be catered for, meaning those who join Thales will have the opportunity of working on diverse projects with a high level of complexity, innovating in all the different markets we are present in. We’re inventing the future, right here, right now. By combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create, together we’re transforming the world around us.Primary
Purpose of the Role
Within the matrix organization of the Engineering Competence Center, the SW Engineering Department Manager leads the entire software development group of the Engineering Competence Center (staffing, workload, organization, SW disciplines training, development golden rules, domain knowledge, competencies, processes, architectures and technologies, team spirit) in order to deliver software architectures, components and projects with the adequate quality and maturity level, on time and on budget to the various Business Lines (B/L) project teams
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
Reporting to the Head of SW, as the deputy for HOD Software, you will be responsible for smooth execution of all the projects underway in SW division.
- Interfacing with all the stakeholders-project managers/leads within the Engineering Competence Center organization, to capture and understand the health of various projects and initiate necessary actions for long/short term to improve the overall delivery excellence from ECC.
- The knowledge and understanding of the various B/L domain specifics and their impact on architectures
- Shared as well as domain specific technologies, processes and practices
- Reliable and efficient SW production, development and configuration management environments and tools
- A strong culture of performance measurement, continuous improvement (SW discipline, lessons learn, know how…), metrics, visual management and competitiveness initiatives
- Flexible and appropriate workspaces allowing collaboration, regular reconfiguration and growth
- A sound and healthy work climate conducive to people and teams empowerment and agile practices, thus encouraging (peer) coaching, knowledge sharing and mentoring
- Working closely with Domain Leaders to guaranty that the proper level, skillset and performance of the resources is being provided to the projects, and maintaining the workload forecast to perform adequate resources reallocations. Follow the developments progress, perform root causes analysis and implement recovery plans when facing difficulties
- Support HR duties in conjunction with SW team in the process of recruiting, training, setting individual objectives, conducting performance reviews
- Strong experience in a similar role with an experience to manage a team of 50+ highly skilled Software engineers in an international context.
- A minimum of 5 years of hands-on SW technical leadership,
- Similar experience to lead a SW team in a matrix organization,
- Previous experience of Scrum and Agile development methodologies and associated management tools by leading a multiple scrum teams in delivering complex enterprise products,
- Able to lead diverse teams with different SW skillsets (embedded SW, application SW, Android, Cloud technology, …),
- Able to create / interpret / assess KPIs and initiate actions, report on them and utilize for managing change and improvements,
- Digital Technologies
- Avionics Software Development
- Industry Standards such as DO-178 / CMM / ISO
- Good grasp of programming languages such as C / C++ / ADA / JAVA with strong background in having worked on any specific technologies for 3-5 years of time
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working.
Great journeys start here, apply now!