Thales Group is a French multinational company that designs and builds electrical systems and provides services for the aerospace, defence, transportation and security markets.
Thales Alenia Space
A globally recognized space player in the fields of telecommunications, navigation, earth observation, exploration and the construction of orbital infrastructures, Thales Alenia Space is a Joint-Venture between the Thales groups (67% ) and Leonardo (33%).
Thales Alenia Space conceive, design and deliver high technology solutions for satellites, payloads, equipment, systems and services for telecommunications, observation, navigation and exploration programs, as well as orbital Infrastructures and space transportation systems.
The Rome site is a center of excellence for Earth Observation, Telecommunication and Navigation space programs.
The “Data Handling, Command & Control and Systems Modelling” unit belongs to the “Avionics & Electrical Engineering” department in the Competence Center Platform and Integration – Italy.
We are responsible for the definition of the operational concept of the Spacecraft and for the data systems including communication and processing. We contribute to the entire lifecycle of the products from initial conceiving and feasibility studies, preparation of proposals, design and implementation up to the operations and maintenance.
More in detail we perform the following activities:
- Ground to Space interface definition in terms of CCSDS and ECSS protocol stack tailoring (including Packet Utilization Standard)
- Preparation of the Command & Control requirements, including definition of the and on-board data bus and communication links;
- Data Handling budget preparation
- Avionics specification and design
- Definition of the Failure Detection, Isolation and Recovery (FDIR) strategy
- Data Handling Hardware specification, including OBC and RTUs
- On Board SW specification
- HW/SW integration and Avionics V&V activities
- Provide support to LEOP, IOT and operational phases
- Related R&D activities
For this department we are looking for: Data Handling Engineer
About the job
The job holder will be in charge of contributing to the different phases of the Control Mechanism lifecycle starting from initial concept phase, up to requirements of the DHS to design full product deployment. . Product definition through Lower level HW & SW requirements definition, control algorithm design & coding, FDIR strategy implementation and DHC I/F compatibility analysis as well organization, attendance and execution of Technical reviews, either company internal that at subcontractor premises.
The proposed job includes also design, implementation and execution of test cases at Avionic Test Bench and possibly at Satellite level, and documentation of V&V activities in VCD, dealing with Control Mechanism product.
Starting from System Level Documentation or Avionics Level Documentation, the most relevant deliverable items expected to be prepared in the scope of the proposed activity are reported here below:
- C&C Specification and Interface Requirements for Control Mechanism
- Control Mechanism Specific PUS Tailoring
- Control Mechanism DH, Software & Memory Budgets
- Control Mechanism DVCM, including related Reviews and Analyses report.
- Control Mechanism SW Specification and coding
This request is for a permanent position.
The working site is Rome, but it might be required working in other locations for short mid-term periods (e.g. attendance to external test facilities or activities in customer or subcontractors premises)
Short periods of 24h shift working across the full week might be required upon specific program needs.
Education and experience
- You have a Master Degree in Electronic Engineering or Computer Science.
- You are fluent in English (C1 and above certification) both listening and reading.
- You have at least 5 years of experience in similar job.
Skills and knowledge
It is highly preferred a knowledge in cutting-edge technologies like multicore processors (LEON4/GR740), time/space partitioning operating systems and hypervisors (XTRATUM/PikeOS), CFDP protocol, CAN bus (CAN-OPEN protocol).
Also required is knowledge in the following areas:
- CCSDS/ECSS telemetry and telecommand standards (synchronization and channel coding, data link)
- ECSS Packet Utilization Standard (PUS)
- SW development standards: ECSS E-40/Q-80
- Data Handling Hardware (On Board Computer, Remote Terminal Unit, GNSS receiver, microprocessors)
- 1553, Spacewire, CAN open
- SW or hybrid (HW/SW) simulators
- Data compression and encryption
- Orchestra Suite (PV:: & Doors at least)
- Knowledge about AIM 1553 boards and KVASER PN/EAN 73-30130-00683-6 (CAN Bus) or similar boards
- Technical experience about write/understanding of the Avionic requirements of a Satellite
- Technical experience about technical procurement on Avionic units
- Technical experiences about test execution at Avionic S/S level alternatively on Spacecraft level
- Technical experience on Avionic EGSE elements and development on Spacecraft simulator
- Able to work with instruments of laboratory oscilloscope, multimeter, protocol analyser
- Able to work on own and in team in an international environment
- Able to cope with a workload pressures.
- Customer focused, proactive attitude
- Organized and methodical approach to the work with strong communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at one time, to work autonomously and in team
- Strong attitude to achieve results within time and cost constraints
- Problem solving attitude
Innovation, passion, ambition: join Thales and create the world of tomorrow, today.
Job ID: R0103683