Thales Group is a French multinational company that designs and builds electrical systems and provides services for the aerospace, defence, transportation and security markets.
Thales people architect and deliver satellite-based systems that help position, connect and observe our planet, and push the boundaries of our understanding of planet’s resources. Our systems are in orbit at 400 km, 20000 km, 36000 km and beyond to the edges of the solar system.
Roma hosts the commercial offices to be close to Costumer and Public Administration.
We are looking for a Thermo-Mechanical Expert Engineer to join our Thales Alenia Space team.
1. Education and Knowledge
- Aeronautical engineering degree (preferred) or Mechanical Engineering Degree or Material Engineering Degree;
- Curriculum: course of studies as a structural engineer (Aerospace Construction, Dynamics of structures, Aeroelasticity, Materials, Mechanical Design, etc …);
- FEM simulation: MSC.Software (preferred), Ansys, Adyna, etc …
- CAD design: CATIA / ENOVIA V5 (preferred), other 3D CAD, AutoCAD
- Simulation: Matlab & Simulink
- Italian, English (mandatory), French as nice to have;
- PhD, Experimental Courses and / or Masters, Professional management experiences
Competencies on thermo-mechanical design and development of Electronic and Scientific Equipment, from early phase to environmental tests.
- Evaluate/prepare applicable thermal, mechanical and interface requirements with respect to customers/suppliers;
- Provide technical support along Processing, RF and Power Equipment life cycle, from initial concept to final delivery;
- Promote product industrialization from the concept sketch to the H/W delivery for cost and time saving;
- Actively drive the manufacturing choices to increase the product dependability;
- Cooperate with all the Design Entities (Digital, Radio Frequency and Power Supply Design Depts), the Industrial Engineering Dept, the Technological Dept and of course the Quality to be compliant with internal and external specs;
- Develop the detailed design to meet TAS customer product specs;
- Perform both thermal and mechanical analyses with the following objectives:
– Identify critical areas and anticipate design solutions during Equipment preliminary study and initial concept;
– Verify and Validate the design to face official review (PDR, CDR) and qualification environmental test campaigns; after environmental tests to correlate models and demonstrate to the customer the full compliance to the flight environment
– Identify root causes and corrective actions during failure analyses
- prepare the environmental test plans, procedures and report for STM experimental activities.
- Supervise to EQM test campaign and to provide technical support about the PFM/FM acceptance tests;
- Produce exhaustive manufacturing dossiers documentation for Production;
- Interface external suppliers (workshops, other Companies, 3E manufacturers, etc..) during the procurement phases;
- Technically support Bids (new prods concepts, feasibility evaluation, etc…);
- Support the Technology and Materials and Processes department during the 3E parts qualification phases (test vehicles design, environmental test execution, test results interpretation, reporting, etc…);
- Release and/or contribute to design rules and standards
- Support R&D activities
- Continuously improve the project quality and efficiency to identify and mitigate risks in advance
- Increase TAS product reliability, robustness and manufacturing by mean of peer-reviews;
- Share/cooperate to identify optimal thermo-mechanical methodologies and best practices with other JV partners.
3. Key responsibilities and outputs
To Provide technical expertise and to apply it to guarantee design development that fulfills customer requirements.
- To define the Equipment thermo-mechanical design:
– Increase structural robustness by optimizing the lightness
– Insure thermal dependability at equipment End Of Life
– Design to cost and to manufacturing optimization (process simplification, improved integrability, standardization, etc..)
– Thermo-Mechanical design optimization aimed to guarantee safety and full performance (thermo-mechanical, electrical, ESD, EMC, etc…) to Processing, RF and Power equipment
– Product design aimed to reduce failure probability, NCs, ECOs, etc…
- To attend official meetings and reviews by supporting the Product Lines (EQSR, PDR, CDR, IKP, etc..);
- To support NRB with customer and RFD/RFW preparation;
- To produce all the analysis documentation (Structural, Thermal, Thermal Fatigue, Reduced Mathematical/Mechanical Models)
- To produce official drawings (ICDs) and internal parts and assembly manufacturing drawings;
- To produce test procedures and test reports;
- To propose to R&D new challenging technologies (f.i. additive manufacturing)
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!