Building a future we can all trust
Location: Firenze, Italy
Thales people architect solutions that support 85 million mainline and suburban passenger journeys, worldwide, every day. Our Rail Signalling and Communication systems are used on metro lines across major cities, and 72,000 kms of route, 52,000 trains per day in 16 countries are controlled by our Traffic Management Systems. Together We deployed the first-ever nationwide ticketing system which processes over 50 million ticketing transactions in 100 cities daily.
Sesto Fiorentino is the Headquarter of Thales Italia. It hosts two Domains: Ground Transportation Systems (GTS) and Security (SIX). The activity of GTS domain: Security systems, telecommunications, supervision, control & management information and signalling solutions for trains, trams and metros Regarding railway solutions, Thales is the homologated supplier of Rete Ferroviaria Italiana for Axel Counters, Tunnel Security, Energy Saving, SCADA systems and Asset Management. Italy is Thales Group’s competence centre for tramway signalling solutions. The activity of SIX domain: mission critical solutions and applications for assets and citizens security (supervision, control and information management systems) as well as cybersecurity. Thales offers solutions to protect the information systems and critical data of its civilian and military customers and helps its customers to detect and prevent cyberattacks by devising secure architectures from the design stage, overseeing these architectures and ensures that they are kept in secure working order. Italy is Thales Group’s competence centre for Airport security and operations management solutions.
In close cooperation with the System Engineering Team, the Engineering Management, the Project Management and the relevant Project team members, the software engineer will be responsible for the developing and assist in the certification phases of SIL software applications, of Railway Signalling Systems ensuring project results within the defined time, budget and quality constraints. The role requires professional experience in software design and software integration of ETCS and Railways Signalling Systems, regulations (International, European and Italian), standards, processes, operational scenarios and technologies.
• Be mainly focused on system design, application design and configuration of Railways Signalling products, software and applications
• Analyze requirements ETCS L2 wayside (RBC system)
• Define software requirements, architecture, design
• Write and test code, refining and rewriting it as necessary and communicate with any programmers involved in the project
• Support the integration, verification, validation and qualification of the system and its applications
• Plan and oversee configuration management activities and solution integrity with the Configuration Manager.
• Coordinate with the IVVQ Department for test activities
• Document code consistently throughout the development process by listing a description of the program, special instructions, and any changes made in database tables on procedural, modular and database level.
• Be responsible for adopting and utilizing tools and equipment involved in performance of essential functions of programming including measuring instruments.
• Be responsible for communicating with system engineers and manufacturer’s technical support staff regarding programming needs and performance.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Master’s Degree in Electronic, Telecommunication or Informatics Engineering.
• Min. 5 years’ experience in software design and development
• Proven experience as a Software Developer, Software Engineer or similar role.
• Proven experience of static and dynamic code analysis
• Knowledge of coding languages C, C++ and frameworks/systems GIT, CMake.
• Developing on Linux embedded environment.
• Experience in LRT Signalling product, system and application design and configuration (both wayside and onboard) and relevant communication protocols and interfaces is appreciated.
• Fluency in Italian and English.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Strong capability to work with local and international software development teams
• Knowledge of SW Configuration Management tools (GIT/Jira)
• Knowledge of Requirements Management tools (DOORS)
• Ability to work proactively within a team environment
• Knowledge of the CENELEC standards (50128-50129-50155)
• Experience in ETCS Level 2 wayside (RBC system) Italian applications, proving to have dealt with, for example: ETCS Level 2 wayside specifications, requirements and operational scenarios for Italian applications; interfaces between RBC and Italian Interlocking systems; data preparation process and configuration of data for the definition of e.g. movement authorities and Interlocking protocol interfaces for Italian applications.
• Knowledge of coding language Python
• Knowledge of Continuous Integration tools (Jenkins and related tools)
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!