Thales Group is a French multinational company that designs and builds electrical systems and provides services for the aerospace, defence, transportation and security markets.
Thales people architect and deliver satellite-based systems that help position, connect and observe our planet, and push the boundaries of our understanding of planet’s resources. Our systems are in orbit at 400 km, 20000 km, 36000 km and beyond to the edges of the solar system.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of Role
The role is primarily technical with the following responsibilities for the AOCS and Mission Analysis department. The role will oversee the following types of activities:
- Attitude and Orbit Control System (AOCS) activities
- Mission Analysis
- Performance analysis
- Customer reviews and interface with counterparts technical experts
- Coordinate project team and mentor team members when relevant
- Specification of the subsystem and units for development phases
- Oversee the definition of test and verification plan
- Prepare/approve Work Package Description, Schedule and Costing for development phases
- Consolidation of trade-off, design and performance budgets
In addition, the Engineering Manager is responsible for the managing the team. Activities include:
- Day to day line management of the AOCS and Mission Analysis engineering team, including performance management, development actions, resource allocation and technical oversight.
- Direct delivery of specified engineering tasks in the fulfilment of bids and projects.
- Reviewing workload requirements and assigning resources, providing regular reporting and escalating conflicts to the Head of Engineering
- Cost estimating and time, cost and quality monitoring. Ensuring day to day adherence with these requirements for the specific Engineering Department.
- Responsible for Work Package deliverables for the team
- Producing and deploying skills development plans and resourcing plans in association with the Head of Engineering.
- Perform ad-hoc additional duties that arise from time to time and are consistent with the nature of this position
Key Performance Indicators (not an exhaustive list)
- Work Package / Project Efficiency measures; including cost, quality and schedule
- Workforce productivity against business targets
- Budgetary responsibility of the department (timesheets, off-booking, training and travel)
- Capital Cost and Operational Cost identification / control of the department (feeding into EGM’s)
- Delivery of Personal Development activities within the “campaign” timescales
- Health, Safety & Environment performance against company targets
Principal relationships are required with the following;
- Engineering Department Team members
- Head of Engineering
- TAS departments such as Quality, Supply Chain and Purchasing, Bid & Project Management
- Chief Technical Officer
- Engineering stakeholders within the wider TAS organisation
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- A degree in space or aerospace engineering – or a compatible subject (involving significant technical / scientific content)
- Significant Experience of working in a space / aerospace or related industry in a complex stakeholder environment, (multi-country, multi customer, multi discipline)
- A positive track record of delivering engineering solutions on time, to cost, quality and budget in a bid / project management context.
- Previous supervisory experience in a project / engineering context
- Previous experience of developing and deploying skills and resource plans.
Demonstrates role-model behaviours in accordance with the company’s Leadership Model;
- Shapes Solutions out of Complexity
- Influences Key Stakeholders
- Being Ambitious and Accountable
- Performs Through Co-operation
- Engages and Develops Teams
- Manages Self
In line with Thales’ Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!