Thales Group is a French multinational company that designs and builds electrical systems and provides services for the aerospace, defence, transportation and security markets.
Thales people architect and deliver satellite-based systems that help position, connect and observe our planet, and push the boundaries of our understanding of planet’s resources. Our systems are in orbit at 400 km, 20000 km, 36000 km and beyond to the edges of the solar system.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
As part the Advanced Concepts team based at our Bristol site you will play a leading role in the technical development and implementation of a brand new Very Low Earth Orbit (VLEO) platform for Thales Alenia Space (TAS) UK. You will be managing the transition of a number of conceptual studies for truly innovative mission systems technologies into fully functioning spacecraft design and applications. Longer term you will have the opportunity to move into Product Management and Commercialisation of the platform across a broad range of Institutional, Communications and Defence customers.
This is an excellent opportunity to leverage your substantial Space Systems Engineering expertise and enterprise-focus to support the strategic development of a key platform for TAS UK, a dynamic and growth-focused Space business. You will also have the opportunity to collaborate closely with key senior stakeholders across the CTO, Engineering and Sales and Marketing functions, as well as externally with key customers and subcontractor organisations.
Key areas of responsibilities may include:
- Co-ordination of the development of the platform technically across several projects with the CTO
- Creation and management of the system development strategy and approach for the platform
- Close collaboration and communication with customers and subcontractors on technical issues and priorities
- Providing technical insight and costing inputs to bid processes.
- Managing customer mission/system requirements and devolving these into subsystem requirements
- Leading and conducting system / subsystem trade-off assessments.
- Acting as a mentor and coach to inspire team members and wider stakeholder groups
- Closely managing costs and schedule for system work packages
The position will be based at the TAS-UK Bristol office but up to 10% of work may need to be conducted at subcontractor’s or customer premises, typically in UK or Europe.
What we are looking for in you:
- Significant experience in space systems engineering during the study and implementation phases of spacecraft development.
- Clear track record of taking on new and complex technical problems and developing novel and innovative engineering approaches for a novel type of mission
- Substantive knowledge across a broad range of different subsystems and payloads for EO satellites
- Well-developed relationship management skills gained through collaboration on a range of institutional and commercial customer programmes within the space industry.
- Demonstrable track record of successful delivery of projects and missions through leading a team of technical experts
- Degree in engineering or physical sciences.
About Thales Alenia Space
Combining 40 years of experience and a unique diversity of expertise, talents and cultures, Thales Alenia Space architects design and deliver high technology solutions for telecommunications, navigation, Earth observation, environmental management, exploration, science and orbital infrastructures. Governments, institutions and companies rely on Thales Alenia Space to design, operate and deliver satellite-based systems that help them position and connect anyone or anything, everywhere, help observe our planet, help optimize the use of our planet’s – and our solar system’s – resources. Thales Alenia Space believes in space as humankind’s new horizon, which will enable to build a better, more sustainable life on Earth. A joint venture between Thales (67%) and Leonardo (33%), Thales Alenia Space also teams up with Telespazio to form the parent companies’ Space Alliance, which offers a complete range of services and solutions. Thales Alenia Space posted consolidated revenues of about 2.15 billion euros in 2019 and has around 7,700 employees in nine countries.
In line with Thales’ Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!