hales Group is a French multinational company that designs and builds electrical systems and provides services for the aerospace, defence, transportation and security markets.
Thales people architect and deliver satellite-based systems that help position, connect and observe our planet, and push the boundaries of our understanding of planet’s resources. Our systems are in orbit at 400 km, 20000 km, 36000 km and beyond to the edges of the solar system.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
The PLATO Avionics Model Bench (AVM) is a 2D/3D representation of the PLATO Spacecraft comprising Engineering Models (EM) of the PLATO Data Handling, AOCS, Power and Payload units.
Using representative hardware supported by detailed unit simulations and EGSE, the AVM provides the means to perform verification of the PLATO Avionics Subsystem (DHS and AOCS including the Onboard Software).
Primary Purpose of the Role:
As part of the Systems Engineering team, the Avionics Verification Engineer will work closely with the Avionics Design and Verification Architects to implement the verification tests of the Avionics Subsystem (AOCS and DHS).
The Avionics Verification Engineering team contribute to the execution of the Avionics Integration, Verification and Validation Plan on the AVM.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
Reporting to PLATO AVM Manager in France and the System Department Manager in the UK, the main duties will include:
- Taking inputs from subsystem/unit documentation and test specifications; define the test procedures and automatic test sequences for the verification of the Avionics Subsystem (AOCS and DHS, including the onboard software) for:
- -Integration (I&T) Tests
-Integrated Subsystem Tests (ISST), including AOCS functional chain verification.
-Integrated System Tests (IST) including AOCS closed-loop, FDIR, Performance and Mission
- Execution of the tests on the AVM
- Produce post-test analysis data and test reports, contributing to the Verification Control process (VCD’s)
- Validation and configuration of the EGSE (EPS/CDMS/AOCS SCOE and CCS)
- Support problem resolution and contribute to the Non-Conformance Review Board (NRB)
- Participate in the test review cycles (TSR/TRR/PTR)
- Management of the Spacecraft Reference Database (SRDB)
- Verification of Flight Operations Procedures (FOP)
- Support the verification of FOP’s by the Mission Control Centre
- Ensure efficient transition of processes to Spacecraft AIT
Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree (or equivalent qualification) in engineering with electrical and software background
- General knowledge of Spacecraft subsystems (AOCS, DHS, Power and Payloads)
- Experience in Spacecraft Avionics testing (AOCS and DHS, including Payload data management)
- Production of detailed automated test procedures (TAS CCS V2 SCOPE and Python scripting languages as example)
- Electrical functional testing of data bus signals (SpaceWire, MIL-BUS-1553 and RS422) and knowledge of relevant communication protocols
- Familiarity with Spacecraft Database architecture
- Knowledge of ECSS standards for data handling (CCSDS, PUS and CFDP protocols)
The position will be based at the TAS Cannes site in France, for an initial period of 2 years (nominally 2021 through 2022).
In line with Thales’ Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!