Thales Group is a French multinational company that designs and builds electrical systems and provides services for the aerospace, defence, transportation and security markets.
Thales people architect and deliver satellite-based systems that help position, connect and observe our planet, and push the boundaries of our understanding of planet’s resources. Our systems are in orbit at 400 km, 20000 km, 36000 km and beyond to the edges of the solar system.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Who are you?
- You have an experience in satellite command and control, satellite data acquisition, processing and storage?
- You are familiar with On-board data-handling, on board software, AOCS, FDIR?
- You have worked on ESA projects?
- You hold a degree in engineering?
- You have a strong team spirit and you are able to lead a technical team?
What we could offer:
Joining the systems team of Thales Alenia Space in the UK and working on a number of fascinating Earth Observation Mission, the avionics architect will have the following responsibilities:
- Manage customer avionics requirements and propose a compliant solution
- Conduct trade-offs and establishing the avionics architecture
- Manage interfaces between subsystems/ equipment (RTU, SMU, OBSW,…), between hardware and software
- Propose system development strategy for the Avionics to mitigate schedule risks and budget constraint
- Critically review inputs from suppliers
- Conduct design and qualification review (PDR, CDR, TRR, FAR)
- Liaise with customers and subcontractors on technical issues
- Mentoring of team members to grow TAS-UK capability
- Support bids providing technical insight as well as costing inputs
- Support the verification strategy and test specification for the end to end system validation
- Manage avionics work packages
The position will be based at the TAS-UK Harwell office but up to 10% of work may need to be conducted at subcontractor’s or customer premises, typically in UK or Europe.
In line with Thales’ Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!