Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Airspace Mobility Solutions, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Thales people architect and deliver satellite-based systems that help position, connect and observe our planet, and push the boundaries of our understanding of planet’s resources. Our systems are in orbit at 400 km, 20000 km, 36000 km and beyond to the edges of the solar system.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
As part of the Software and Hardware Engineering function split between our Bristol and Harwell sites this role is seen as an essential part of building the business’ long term capability in Assembly Integration Testing (AIT) and software development, as part of our broader plans to become a Prime Contractor in the Space business. You will play a critical role in the design and specification of Electronic Ground Support Engineering (ESGE) to facilitate Spacecraft AIT activity, whilst ensuring our requirement engineering processes fully support the achievement of customer level requirements.
This is an excellent opportunity to build your EGSE Design Engineering expertise, by working alongside subject matter experts in a dynamic and growth focused Space business. You will also have the opportunity to work on some of the most innovative European Space Agency and UK Space Agency mission programmes.
Key areas of responsibilities may include:
- Design/Specification of EGSE to support Spacecraft AIT (e.g. Electronic Propulsion, Radio Frequency, Central Checkout Systems, TMTCFE)
- Alignment of design with requirement engineering processes (Traceability/Compliance matrix etc.) taking into account customer level requirements.
- Review of supplier documentation / RID generation (e.g. during Tender phase or during formal reviews with the customer PDR/CDR etc)
- Support of major customer review processes
- Production of relevant EGSE documentation (e.g. Design reports, User Manuals, Test Procedures)
Oversight of manufacturing processes for EGSE systems, This may include:
- Managing and prioritizing the manufacturing processes.
- Validation and certification for use in the AIT facility
1st level support for the AIT facility, which may include
- Commissioning of hardware,
- Composition of AIT procedures,
What we are looking for in you:
You will be able to demonstrate expertise in one or (ideally) more than one of the following fields:
- Knowledge of one (or more) Spacecraft subsystem from previous ESA mission (e.g. EPS, OBC, COMMS etc.)
- Experience in certification process would be an asset (i.e. CE marking)
- Experience in EGSE/ATE design/procurement
- EGSE Data Exchange Network (EDEN) protocol will be a plus
- Satellite Reference Database (SRDB) / MIB format will be a plus
- Requirements Management (RATIONAL DOORS knowledge would be considered an asset)
In line with Thales’ Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!