We are the European Space Agency. Our mission is the peaceful exploration and use of space for the benefit of everyone. We watch over Earth, develop and launch inspiring and unique space projects, train astronauts and push the boundaries of science and technology, seeking answers to the big questions about the Universe. We are a family of scientists, engineers and business professionals from all over Europe working together in a diverse and multinational environment.
Galileo G2 Ground Segment Common Platform Engineer
THE EUROPEAN SPACE AGENCY
Job Req ID: 12501
Closing Date: 23 August 2021
Vacancy Type: Permanent
Vacancy in the Directorate of Navigation.
ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands
The 2nd Generation Galileo Ground Segment will modernise the existing infrastructure and support the enhancement of navigation services through the integration of next-generation Galileo satellites. In particular, using a layered architecture, it is planned to operate software services from a common hardware platform.
The Ground Segment Deployment Platform will be procured as an Agile Release Train (ART) using the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). The G2G Ground Segment Common Platform Engineer will act as business owner to oversee the continued specification, design and development of the Platform, including suitable data management functions.
You will report to the Head of the Galileo G2 Ground Segment Management Service and will support the procurement and development of the next-generation Ground Segment for Galileo. Common services to be provided by the platform are:
- IaaS (memory, compute and storage): data centre deployment; secure network services, including secure WAN; high-availability features, including business continuity;
- PaaS: resource abstraction layers (e.g. hyper-convergence, virtualisation, containerisation); scalability; platform management tooling; automated software deployment; software and hardware patching; accredited IT security and protection;
- SaaS: centralised security management (e.g. security monitoring, access control); software service hosting, communication and interfacing (e.g. message queue, service mesh); data management.
- Leading the specification and procurement of the 2nd Generation deployment platform;
- Supporting management of the 2nd Generation Galileo Ground Segment unclassified and classified Technical Baseline (applicable requirements and standards);
- Supporting definition of the 2nd Generation Galileo Ground Segment Statement of Work according to the applicable ECSS standards and system design objectives;
- Providing support to the 2nd Generation Galileo System design activities as necessary to ensure consistency with the System Operational Concept;
- Reporting regularly to the Head of the Galileo G2 Ground Segment Management Service;
- Supporting Ground Segment reviews according to SoW milestones, applicable ECSS standards and SAFe ART Program Increment lifecycle.
- Datacentres & Networking
- Understanding of IT infrastructure management
- State-of-the-art knowledge in area of IT Infrastructure and software development and related IT trends in industry
- Knowledge and understanding of cyber security matters
- Solid understanding/knowledge of requirements engineering
A university degree in information technology, electrical engineering or other scientific discipline is required.
- Applicants should have a good knowledge of Agile software engineering techniques. Knowledge of a scaled agile methodology would be a further advantage.
- Applicants with an experience and understanding of the following technologies and engineering practises will be considered advantageously: MBSE, PaaS, Virtualisation, Containerisation, IaaS, SOA, micro services, Kubertenes, Kafka.
The closing date for applications is 23 August 2021.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. For this purpose, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
This post is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale.
For more information on how to apply, please click the “Apply” button.