We are the European Space Agency. Our mission is the peaceful exploration and use of space for the benefit of everyone. We watch over Earth, develop and launch inspiring and unique space projects, train astronauts and push the boundaries of science and technology, seeking answers to the big questions about the Universe. We are a family of scientists, engineers and business professionals from all over Europe working together in a diverse and multinational environment.
THE EUROPEAN SPACE AGENCY
Job Req ID: 10063
Closing Date: 24 August 2021
Vacancy Type: Permanent
ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands
Radio Navigation System Engineer in the Radio Navigation Systems & Techniques Section, Radio Frequency Systems Division, Electrical Department, Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality.
The Section provides functional support to ESA projects and carries out technological research (R&D) in the field(s) of radio navigation systems, system performance tools, algorithms (signal and navigation), techniques and equipment for position-navigation-time (PNT) applications on ground and in space.
The Section also covers radio navigation techniques and technologies, elements and subsystems to generate, receive, exploit and analyse the signals from the current and upcoming radio navigation systems (GPS, GLONASS, EGNOS, Galileo, BEIDOU), including system design tools and navigation equipment. Emphasis is placed on the engineering aspects, GNSS system and sub-system evolution, design and low TRL for technological demonstrator prototyping and, in particular, navigation system design and tools, novel navigation techniques and equipment design/prototyping, on-board receivers and formation-flying RF metrology.
Reporting to the Head of Section and within the technical fields described above, your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- providing expert technical support and consultancy to ESA projects, programmes and general studies in the field of radio navigation systems and techniques (PNT, in particular GNSS) throughout all project phases;
- participating in feasibility studies, project reviews and evaluation of procurement proposals;
- identifying critical development problems and assisting in their resolution;
- contributing to the definition of technology development requirements and work plans for the Agency’s Technology programmes;
- defining, initiating and managing R&D activities covering long- and short-term needs;
- fostering new application areas for multidisciplinary activities, placing emphasis on innovative concepts, cutting-edge technologies and system architectures;
- laboratory activities as required;
- monitoring applicable scientific and technological trends and maintaining state-of-the-art expertise;
- contributing to the dissemination of the results of activities performed and the transfer of knowledge across the Agency.
Your duties may also include supporting other activities within your field of competence.
- General background and specific experience in the technical domains covered by the position
- Experience with the design, development and application of relevant tools and methods
- Understanding of related technologies, R&D trends and the industrial landscape
- Project support experience in a relevant domain
- Experience with laboratory or field testing of relevant technical equipment
- Experience in the preparation of procurement activities for technology development and innovation (statements of work, proposal evaluation, etc)
- Experience in the management and monitoring of industrial activities, including participation in reviews
A Master’s degree in telecommunications engineering is required.
You must be eligible for security clearance from your national security administration.
The closing date for applications is 24 August 2021.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We therefore welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
This post is classified A2 – A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale.
For more information on how to apply, please click the “Apply” button.