We are developing and operating a new generation of space vehicles to open space for everyone.
Who we are
The Spaceship Company (TSC) is an affiliate of Virgin Galactic as a space-system manufacturing organization. Headquartered at Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California, it is building and testing a fleet of WhiteKnightTwo carrier aircraft and SpaceShipTwo reusable spaceships that, together, form Virgin Galactic’s human spaceflight system. Like many Virgin companies across the world, its team of talented and dedicated engineers, technicians and professionals are drawn together by a willingness to disrupt and challenge the status quo and deliver innovative aerospace solutions to our customers’ needs. TSC’s extensive capabilities encompass preliminary vehicle design and analysis, manufacturing, ground testing, flight testing and post-delivery support.
TSC and the greater Virgin Organization have a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You Are
TSC is seeking an Electro-Mechanical Actuation (EMA) Design Engineer who will provide expertise on complex electromechanical engineering issues and acts as a subject matter expert for the team. The EMA Design Engineer will design and develop a variety of electro-mechanical components and systems for products and coordinates with external suppliers, internal customers, manufacturing and service personnel. The engineer will also be expected to support his/her designs through the full production life cycle.
- Provides mechanical design expertise to develop new products and/or to support improving existing electro-mechanical actuation products, and incorporate EMA technology into new products and applications
- The candidate must have a good command of basic engineering principles required for electromechanical actuator design; these skills include the ability to calculate force margins, perform simple stress analysis, be capable of sizing components, and basic electrical principles
- Develops CATIA 3D models, performs kinematic studies, develops systems schematics, and creates 2D engineering definition for detail parts, assemblies, and installations
- Establishes manufacturing tolerances for production of components and assemblies
- Develops and documents requirements and interface constraints for components
- Coordinates with the systems substantiation department to ensure component performance in flight environments
- Supports test definition to verify that components and manufacturing processes meet design intent and engineering requirements
- Participates in the review, approval, and release process of engineering definition
- Supports creation and review of manufacturing plans to ensure compliance with design requirements and company processes
- Supports components throughout full lifecycle from prototype to final acceptance as well as modifications and repairs after installation
- Uses engineering judgment to evaluate manufacturing issues and disposition nonconformance reports (NCR)
What you bring
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, with a concentration in Aeronautical, Astronautical, Aerospace, or Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years of experience relevant to electromechanical actuator design and development, preference to aerospace experience
- Experience with CATIA V5 strongly preferred, or SOLIDWORKS or equivalent
- Experience in design and developing some or all of the following types of products is desirable: electromechanical actuators with brushless or brush type motors and solenoids.
- Expected to lead in the assembly, development, and qualification testing of their product. Acts as a technical lead for a project, providing knowledge and expertise for colleagues
- Experience with Product Lifecycle Management tools (PLM software), Requirements management tools and configuration management
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Excellent organizational and time-management skills, strong team player.
- Experience using Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Applicants must be U.S. persons as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR §120.15)
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Req No. 2020-5972