The Spaceship Company (TSC) is an affiliate of Virgin Galactic as a space-system manufacturing organization. Headquartered at Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California, it is building and testing a fleet of WhiteKnightTwo carrier aircraft and SpaceShipTwo reusable spaceships that, together, form Virgin Galactic’s human spaceflight system. Like many Virgin companies across the world, its team of over 400 talented and dedicated engineers, technicians and professionals are drawn together by a willingness to disrupt and challenge the status quo and deliver innovative aerospace solutions to our customers’ needs. TSC’s extensive capabilities encompass preliminary vehicle design and analysis, manufacturing, ground testing, flight testing and post-delivery support.
TSC and the greater Virgin Organization have a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You Are
TSC is seeking a Mechanical Systems Design Engineer for our high-speed aircraft program within the Advanced Design department. You will be supporting ongoing activities within a new program advancing and transforming the future of commercial high speed global mobility. The vision of this program is to develop a customer-driven and environmentally-sustainable fleet of commercially-viable vehicles with rapid global reach. You will be designing and analyzing a high speed aircraft providing speed as a service to bring disruptive solutions to deliver a premium global solution that is safe, reliable, and reusable. In this role you will bring disruptive ideas and help to drive the technical position of TSC for the future as we make dreams take flight.
- Act as the mechanical systems subject matter expert during development of high speed vehicle(s), define technical requirements, set a path to meet requirements, and perform trade studies.
- Perform and provide key input on trades for mechanical system designs to include material selection, mass properties, performance, manufacturing, and to consider cost and durability.
- Select, size and analyze conceptual/preliminary system architecture designs include flight controls, landing gear, environmental control, life support, electrical, hydraulic, etc.
- Develop and document requirements and interface constraints (power, cooling, physical, etc.) for systems.
- Develop engineering definition of mechanical system components and assemblies including 2D/3D models, kinematic studies, and systems schematics.
- Supports review of manufacturing plans and procedures to ensure compliance with design requirements.
- Prepare performance specifications, requirements, and statement of work documents for both internal and external team members.
- Review work and technical findings from both internal and external team members.
- Collaborate with vendors as needed, to obtain required technical information and report technical findings.
- Present work and technical findings with justification to management and senior leadership through design reviews and program milestones.
- Develop customer presentations, provide engineering reports, specifications and proposal inputs.
What you bring
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace, Mechanical engineering or similar discipline from an accredited institution, or substantially similar experience with a STEM degree.
- Demonstrated experience with aerospace vehicle design and build teams/projects with emphasis in high speed vehicles (Mach 1 to Mach 5+).
- Desired experience level: 5+ years with Bachelor’s degree, 3+ years with Masters, 0+ with PhD.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in conceptual and preliminary design including trade studies on system architectures (flight controls, landing gear, environmental control, life support, electrical, hydraulic, etc.)
- Ability to perform system sizing using classical analysis methods
- Experience with CATIA V5 strongly preferred
- Understanding of aircraft design, engineering, and build processes, including Model Based Definition,
- Product Lifecycle Management, Configuration Management, and Configuration Control
- Demonstrated ability to lead and empower a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Ability to execute strategic goals and objectives in support of the overall company goals and objectives.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with a high attention to detail.
- Team player with excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Applicants must be U.S. persons as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR §120.15).
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.