The Spaceship Company (TSC) is an affiliate of Virgin Galactic as a space-system manufacturing organization. Headquartered at Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California, it is building and testing a fleet of WhiteKnightTwo carrier aircraft and SpaceShipTwo reusable spaceships that, together, form Virgin Galactic’s human spaceflight system. Like many Virgin companies across the world, its team of over 400 talented and dedicated engineers, technicians and professionals are drawn together by a willingness to disrupt and challenge the status quo and deliver innovative aerospace solutions to our customers’ needs. TSC’s extensive capabilities encompass preliminary vehicle design and analysis, manufacturing, ground testing, flight testing and post-delivery support.
Who We Are
TSC and the greater Virgin Organization have a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You Are
TSC is seeking an engineering manager with experience in the development and production of hybrid propulsion systems to lead a team of production engineers. Significant experience with liquid or solid propulsion systems would also be considered. Ideal candidates would have experience working from high level requirements to develop production plans, designs, concept-of-operations, budgets and schedules that the candidate maintained responsibility for throughout the entire development, qualification and manufacturing process.
In addition experience with ground support equipment, component qualification/substantiation, motor fabrication and casting, material testing, rocket motor qualification and acceptance testing is a plus. Candidate will also be comfortable working in a hands on environment, and must have a strong sense of accountability.
- Responsible for staffing decisions, training and development, and performance management of the Propulsion Production Team
- Use your skills in project planning, scheduling and execution to direct the detailed development of hybrid motor production including tooling development, process improvements, advanced manufacturing capabilities and industrial design
- Become the technical authority on a team of engineers to guide the propulsion system development to meet vehicle performance requirements
- Implement and sustain process controls and process standardization for use in the manufacturing of propulsion systems
- Oversee the planning, development, implementation and maintenance of manufacturing methods, processes and operations for new and existing products
- Direct plant continuous improvement efforts through Lean principles
- Oversee the gathering and analysis of data to drive a Lean, continually improving culture
What you bring
- Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution, with a minimum of 10+ years relevant industry experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of manufacturing and design principles for both metallic, plastic and composite components
- Experience with the design of hybrid rockets; alternatively solid or liquid rockets
- Experience with testing and qualification of propulsion systems
- Experience iterating on propulsion system design based on test results
- Knowledge of industrial and lab safety best practices
- Excellent organizational, communication and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of earned-value management principles
- Experience with CATIA V5 and/or Solidworks
- Familiarity with Quality Management Systems like TipQA
- Experience with the design of flight vehicles or vehicle systems to a set of requirements or standards such as CFR 14, Part 400, Part 23 and 25, military or NASA
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and Powerpoint
- Applicants must be U.S. persons as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15).
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.