The Spaceship Company (TSC) is an affiliate of Virgin Galactic as a space-system manufacturing organization. Headquartered at Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California, it is building and testing a fleet of WhiteKnightTwo carrier aircraft and SpaceShipTwo reusable spaceships that, together, form Virgin Galactic’s human spaceflight system. Like many Virgin companies across the world, its team of over 400 talented and dedicated engineers, technicians and professionals are drawn together by a willingness to disrupt and challenge the status quo and deliver innovative aerospace solutions to our customers’ needs. TSC’s extensive capabilities encompass preliminary vehicle design and analysis, manufacturing, ground testing, flight testing and post-delivery support.
TSC and the greater Virgin Organization have a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You Are
TSC is seeking an experienced design engineer to lead design of airframe structural components, assemblies, and integrated systems. This role leads a team of engineers through the process of defining requirements with internal customers, generating detailed design definition, and supporting fabrication and assembly activities throughout the production of the vehicle. Engineers in this position are expected to have strong experience with commercial aerospace standard design practices and methods as well as engineering experience in design and analysis required to develop efficient solutions, as well as demonstrated experience in leadership.
- Lead team of structural design engineers from conceptual designs through manufacturing of details, assemblies and installations.
- Support operations team to ensure vehicle readiness for flight.
- Review and approve design definition in accordance with the industry and company standards
- Participate in the continuous improvement of design practices, procedures and technology.
- Assist in management and career leadership of the Structural Design Team.
- Allocate team’s resources efficiently to meet the demands of internal customer requirements.
- Develop technical solutions to complex problems that require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
What you bring
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, with a concentration in Aeronautical, Astronautical, Aerospace, or Mechanical Engineering.
- 4-8 years’ or more experience in aerospace with an emphasis in airframe design.
- Demonstrated experience in leadership role.
- In depth knowledge of structural design associated with composite aircraft.
- Experience with the design of flight vehicles or vehicle systems to a set of requirements or standards such as CFR 14, Part 400, Part 23 and 25, military or NASA are highly desired.
- Experience with composite design and associated CAD workbenches. CATIA V5 preferred.
- Experience with Product Lifecycle Management tools (PLM software), requirements management tools and configuration management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong team player and ability to work independently with excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.