Defining Agile Space
Tyvak Nano-Satellite Systems Inc., a Terran Orbital company, is seeking a motivated Software Engineer with Image Processing experience for our Irvine, CA location. Tyvak is a leading worldwide provider of nanosatellite and microsatellite vehicles, services, and solutions to Commercial and Government customers. As an image processing software engineer, the candidate will join a collaborative team to develop innovative nano/micro-satellite vehicle solutions for multiple projects.
Tyvak is developing and flying some ground-breaking missions from rendezvous and docking of a cube- and micro-sats to non-cooperative, proximity operations. We also have a host of other unique missions that range from Lunar landers, Mars scientific missions, synthetic aperture radar constellations, visual imagers, weather, and many others.
You will perform algorithm research, development, and implementation in the signal and image sciences. You will be responsible for the development and implementation of signal and image processing algorithms in software and/or hardware in support of space-based remote sensing programs. Specific topics of interest include but are not limited to state estimation and multitarget tracking; embedded systems for digital signal processing, image, and video processing; machine learning; pattern analysis; control system design and analysis; communications and radar systems; nondestructive evaluation techniques; remote sensing; radiation detection; and similar topics associated with the signal and image sciences.
- Develop and apply solutions to problems in signal and image science that are of programmatic interest.
- Implement algorithms in software and/or hardware as appropriate, integrate and test in simulation, EDU, Flight, and Hardware-in-the-Loop environments.
- Work with logic designers to understand the operation of image processing and display pipelines at the block and system levels.
- Develop software to validate the functionality, conformance, and performance of developed software.
- Invent algorithms for industrial imaging using traditional statistical / Ground truth/ rules-based and machine learning / artificial intelligence approaches.
- Identify, test, and recommend third-party algorithms and IP for implementation in imaging products.
- Evaluate architectural designs and algorithms and develop pipeline blocks suitable for hardware implementation.
- Work with Systems/Electrical Engineering to author hardware specifications for efficient and practical implementation of imaging algorithms.
- Work with GPU cores to implement on-the-fly data corrections using a neural network.
- Incorporate payload and spacecraft bus command and control schemes.
- Work with multiple engineering teams to establish software requirements and design.
- Work with multiple engineering teams to commission newly launched satellites.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree with 3-5 years of experience OR Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field with 1-2 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in video or image signal processing, computer vision, and algorithms, and image quality.
- Fluent in multiple programming languages relevant for industrial imaging and machine learning (MATLAB, C, C++, Python).
- Ability to work with ambiguous requirements and utilize sound judgment and decision-making skills to reduce uncertainty.
- Ability to work independently and self-start.
- Strong problem-solving skills, highly motivated and productive.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communications skills are required.
- Per the requirement of certain Tyvak facilities, the applicant must be eligible to obtain and maintain a U.S. TS/SCI Security Clearance and all special accesses required to work at such facilities.
- 5+ years of experience in the field of Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field in image processing.
- Experience in imaging and/or vision pipelines, thermal imaging, computational photography techniques, depth-sensing cameras.
- Experience in Computer Vision.
- Experience developing algorithms for image classifying, object detection & recommender systems, including using convolutional neural networks and other deep learning techniques.
- Experience in a production environment within the aerospace industry.
- Salary and benefits are market competitive.
- 100% paid PPO medical benefits plan for eligible /employees + dependents.
To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, the applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Terran Orbital/Tyvak is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, veteran status, disability status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.