To build a thriving, inclusive research and innovation system
Science and Technology Facilities Council
Due to continued growth, we have a great opportunity for a Mechanical Services Design Engineer to join the Estates Design Team at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory.
The role will have the following responsibilities:
- Preparation of mechanical design calculations and scheme designs, estimates, specifications and tender documentation
- Preparation of consultant briefs, management of tendering procedures and contractor appointment
- Line Management of graduate and junior engineers, ensuring that they are supported and developed in line with the STFC graduate programme, estates succession and business plan.
- Undertake system commissioning ensuring ‘fit for purpose’ facilities.
- Liaison with internal customers, statutory undertakers and utility supply companies
- Maintain close co-ordination with other fields and specialists within the Estates Team.
- Take the lead for the design and coordination of seeking endeavouring to achieve delivery of high quality end products to programme and within budget and in accordance with relevant legislation and RAL governance.
- Give to the development, review, and management of the Estates MEP specification with the objective to select the right materials, suppliers, standards and best practice across the estate.
- Provide professional advice, support and mentorship within the Estates team.
- Compliance with CDM 15, BIM, BREEAM, Benchmarking, Key Performance Indicator evaluation, etc.
- Act as Principle Designer where appropriate.
Do you have an HNC-HND in the appropriate subject area combined with significant experience in mechanical services and building services design and project management?
- Membership of the IMECHE, or CIBSE and either CEng or I Eng
- Experience in owning the delivery of a range of technical projects from relatively simple projects to complex refurbishment and new build projects.
- Proven knowledge and experience of and taking care of current construction legislation, including planning, construction and contract law, health and safety and disability legislation
- Standout colleague, who can head up, lead by example, support and develop the existing team and services.
- Able to perform effectively within tight time-scales, keep within strict budgets and build a positive client environment.
- Proven problem solving capability with ability to maintain a flexible and collaborative approach, to be self-motivated and resilient.
- A good solid understanding of AUTOCAD and Hevacomp.
What we can offer you
By choosing to come and work at the STFC part of UKRI means that you will have access to a whole host of attractive benefits!
- An outstanding index linked pension scheme
- 30 days leave plus 10 public holidays
- Christmas shut down
- Flexible working
- An onsite subsidized nursery
- Access to employee shopping/travel discounts
- Salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme
- Social and sporting activities and societies
We are committed to developing our staff, and training will be provided in relevant areas.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company.