System administrator (m / f / d) with a focus on (server) virtualization, automation and databases
45,000 students, 8,000 employees in teaching, research and administration who jointly shape future prospects – that is the Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität (WWU). Embedded in the atmosphere of the city of Münster with its high quality of life, it attracts students and scientists from Germany and abroad with its diverse research profile and attractive course offers.
Are you looking for a challenge as an IT system administrator in a team-oriented and innovative environment? Then you will become part of the IVV Geosciences in FB 14 of the WWU. At the earliest possible point in time, we have to fill a position as system administrator, initially limited to two years, with a focus on (server) virtualization, automation and databases.
IVV Geoscientific looks after the IT infrastructure of the scientifically diverse geosciences department at Münster University. In close cooperation with WWU-IT, it offers an extensive portfolio of IT-based services for researchers, teachers and students, the further development of which is characterized by great development dynamics in the context of the current digital transformation processes in science. In this context, the IVV Geoscientific team looks forward to your support.
We are looking for a committed IT specialist specializing in system integration with an independent, solution-oriented working style, very good conceptual skills, organizational talent and strong cooperation skills for targeted IT support for working groups at the Institute for Geoinformatics and the Institute for Landscape Ecology (ILÖK). You are also characterized by the ability to work in a team, flexibility and resilience, are ready to take on responsibility and meet the following profile:
- Completed training as an IT specialist in the field of system integration
- In-depth knowledge of modern IT infrastructures
- In-depth knowledge of architectures and solution approaches relating to virtualization and automation (Hyper-V / VMware)
- In-depth knowledge of the operation and administration of databases
- Willingness to familiarize oneself with new technologies and areas of responsibility, such as interactive systems (eye trackers or VR systems)
- Ideally, knowledge in the area of CMS (e.g. Imperia)
- Good language skills in English (international clients!)
- Programming knowledge in a common scripting language such as Python
- Basic knowledge in the area of operation and administration of Microsoft Windows Server systems and / or LINUX systems as well as their standard services
Your tasks are:
- Provision, operation and administration of databases, server services and applications based on Linux and Windows, including backup
- Automation of development, administration and operating processes
- Administration of the virtual server landscape based on VMware and OpenStack
- Planning and preparation of the operation as well as the provision of applications within existing IT infrastructures taking into account IT security (e.g. sensor, field measurement or laboratory data)
- Independent planning, technical conception and implementation of databases, IT structures and participation in IFGI / ILÖK projects (e.g. sensor, field measurement or laboratory data)
- Team-oriented organization of administration and work processes as well as coordination with specialist users, the IVV team and WWU-IT
- Workstation computer support for employees
- Documentation and creation of help pages / FAQs
- Procurement processes
- Exciting and varied tasks in an innovative work area
- A pleasant, collegial working atmosphere in a team-oriented environment
- Internal and external training
- Flexible working time models and a family-friendly environment
- An attractive city with a high recreational value
The grouping takes place depending on personal requirements and transfer of corresponding activities up to salary group 9 a TV-L. The working time is currently 39 hours 50 minutes a week.
Applications from women are strongly encouraged; Women will be given preference if they have the same suitability, ability and professional performance, unless the person of a competitor predominates.
The WWU has set itself the goal of employing more people with disabilities. Applicants with recognized severe disabilities will be given preference if they have the same qualifications.
The WWU offers a wide range of working time models for all employees. A part-time position is generally possible.