World-class research & teaching excellence
UNSW Canberra is a campus of the University of New South Wales located at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra. UNSW Canberra endeavours to offer staff a rewarding experience and offers many opportunities and attractive benefits, including:
- One of Australia’s leading research and teaching universities
- Strong commitment to staff development and learning
- Strong commitment to work-life and family balance
- Generous superannuation opportunities
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
Are you great at AI and looking for an opportunity to apply it to space?
UNSW Canberra Space recently demonstrated in-orbit edge-AI on our M2 mission, and are pursuing both the development of intelligent space systems and the science of Space Domain Awareness.
We are looking for a talented researcher to join us as a Research Associate (or equivalent) and help us push the boundaries on two areas of AI-for-space :
- Edge-AI, in particular federated learning, for the development of intelligent satellite constellations using new hardware and software in the loop testbed that we are building
- Application of machine learning to the characterisation of Low Earth Orbit spacecraft behaviour using photometry from our space surveillance telescopes
About the Role:
Role: Research Associate – Artificial Intelligence for Space
Term: 12 months fixed term with the opportunity to extend to 24 months, depending on funding
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be able to implement (and contribute to the development of) machine learning algorithms within a real-world engineering context.
- Thrive in an environment of innovative questioning research, both self-directed and team-based.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to contribute to a high-performance team culture.