World-class research & teaching excellence
Canberra is a campus of the University of New South Wales located at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra. UNSW Canberra endeavours to offer staff a rewarding experience and offers many opportunities and attractive benefits, including:
- One of Australia’s leading research and teaching universities
- Strong commitment to staff development and learning
- Strong commitment to work life and family balance
- Generous superannuation opportunities
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
An exciting opportunity has become available for a Research Associate (Level A) to join the UNSW Institute for Cyber Security (IFCYBER). The UNSW Institute for Cyber Security (IFCYBER) was launched in 2021 and spans both the Canberra and Sydney campuses with its hub at UNSW Canberra. We are a growing team of over 100 members carrying out cutting edge multidisciplinary research in cyber security. This position would be based at the Canberra Campus
The Research Associate will be working on a novel project, led by Professor Whitty, on insider threat. The project will develop a suite of countermeasures, for Defence, that will effectively build resilience to internal cyber disruption – with a focus on both malicious and accidental insiders. The successful applicant will collect case studies of insider threats, conduct a statistical analysis on the pathways to the attacks, run experimental simulation studies and conduct interviews to learn the potential impact of implementing potential interventions identified in this research.
Under the supervision of the Director of the UNSW Institute for Cyber Security, the Research Associate will also be expected to produce high quality publications in high impact journals and other appropriate publications. They will also provide admin support to the Institute. They may also be given the opportunity to write grant proposals and teach on our professional education programme. In addition, they will be part of our cyber security community.
The role of Research Associate reports to the Director of the UNSW Institute for Cyber Security (IFCYBER) and has no other direct reports.
About the Successful Applicants
To be successful in this role you will have an appropriate PhD in psychology or a related discipline and the following skills and experience:
- Demonstrated strong performance in research in the area of cyber security.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake high-quality academic research and conduct independent research.
- Demonstrated ability to publish high-quality academic publications.
- Demonstrated ability in conducting statistical analyses (e.g. path analyses, multiple regression) as well as qualitative research (e.g. interviewing)
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team, collaborate across disciplines and build effective relationships.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills appropriate for interacting effectively with team members, collaborators and colleagues across the Faculty.
- A demonstrated ability to complete tasks within agreed time frames, with suitable supervision.
- An understanding of and commitment to UNSW’s aims, objectives and values in action, together with relevant policies and guidelines.
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training.
- To be successful you will hold Australian Working Rights or Australian Citizenship