The journey to space starts with the engines.
Ursa Major Technologies was founded to bring a new model to space access: one in which every link in an enormous value chain isn’t limited by those around it. We design rocket engines and propulsion solutions.
Our products and technologies require an extraordinary team. A team who will mold tomorrow’s technologies while deploying today’s best. We are comprised of intrinsically motivated individuals who have a passion for solving problems and empower each other every day to develop our skills, knowing that there is always room for growth.
As a Quality Manager, you will be responsible for maintaining, improving, and documenting Ursa Major’s quality control practices. This role will work extremely closely with supply chain, manufacturing engineering, technicians, program management, and the engineering team to continually refine and develop quality processes that best meet the needs of our ongoing engine programs while training and mentoring the company on the latest industry best practices and standards. This role will also manage day-to-day hardware quality issues, both inside the company and within our supply chain. The quality inspection team will report to the Quality Manager. The Quality Manager should be adept at advanced inspection processes and developing clear procedures to handle First Article Inspection as well as detailed inspection of additively manufactured hardware. This role will report directly to the VP of Manufacturing.
While this is a ‘working manager’ role, the scope and influence of the Quality Manager role will grow. The Quality Manager is expected to scale our quality practices, capabilities, and organization, eventually attaining and maintaining AS9100 certification. The Quality Manager’s experience with the ISO 9000 family of quality management principles is critically important.
Quality Systems Management and Leadership Responsibilities
- Mature, maintain, and manage all aspects of our quality assurance program.
- Develop, implement, and audit all hardware quality practices.
- Continuously improve Ursa’s processes and organization including eventual attainment of AS9100 certification.
- Create lightweight and efficient quality processes for development hardware and effective quality practices for production hardware.
- Creating a quality conscious culture by presenting, coaching, and teaching the rest of the organization.
- Own and mature the discrepancy reporting system, including documentation, implementation, reporting, and auditing of processes.
- Become the primary point of contact for and owner of discrepancy ticket resolution.
- Own, develop, and maintain our ERP quality module.
- Own and report key performance metrics related to Ursa’s quality systems, starting with our discrepancy process.
- Ensure decisions and implementation of processes are data driven.
- Report quality risks and corrective actions to our functional managers and executive team.
- Infrequent communication with Ursa’s customers to describe and explain our quality practices.
Quality Inspection and Engineering Team Responsibilities
- Manage, hire, and grow our quality inspection and quality engineering team as our product lines evolve and mature.
- Maintain quality-related capital equipment, as well as purchase and maintain additional hardware as needed.
- Implement quality inspection best practices by working with engineering and manufacturing teams.
- Mature and improve our first article inspection processes and plans.
- Fill quality gaps as needed throughout the organization by working to solve hardware issues, performing inspections, creating creative inspection plans, etc.
Experience / Requirements
- B.S. in Engineering (Mechanical, Industrial/Manufacturing, or Aerospace preferred.)
- 10+ years’ experience with industrial quality inspection-related work.
- Experience sustaining AS9100/ISO9001 quality certification. (Leadership attaining initial AS9100 certification a plus.)
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, startup environment.
- Demonstrated success as a team lead and manager.
- Experience with inspection and NDE of additively manufactured hardware a plus.
- Experience with and understanding of advanced manufacturing and engineering practices.
- Unlimited PTO – Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
- Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
- Medical, dental and vision insurance; STD; Life and AD&D
- Retirement Savings Plan – Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
- Company stock options
Colorado law requires us to tell you the base compensation range of this role, which is $95,000 – $140,000, determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. What we can’t quantify for you are the exciting challenges, supportive team, and amazing culture we enjoy. Click here for more information about our awesome benefits.
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. You will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.