Blur the line between air and space
The journey to space starts with the engines.
Ursa Major Technologies was founded to bring a new model to space access: one in which every link in an enormous value chain isn’t limited by those around it. We design rocket engines and propulsion solutions.
As the Senior Advanced Materials and Manufacturing Engineer, you will be responsible for advanced ceramics and composites material selection, development, and qualification for advanced rocket engine programs at Ursa Major. This role will report directly to the head of the Advanced Materials and Manufacturing group at Ursa Major.
- Responsible for overseeing and guiding material selection and process development of advanced high temperature composites and ceramics.
- Responsible for selection, development, and qualification of vendors for manufacturing advanced composites.
- Collaborate with other engineers, vendors, industry subject matter experts, and technicians to solve technical challenges related to part design, manufacturing, and qualification.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on non-metallic materials and coatings.
- Assists with material related failure investigations on production and development related engine programs as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Materials, Chemical or Aerospace Engineering.
- 5+ years working with composites and non-metallic materials manufacturing.
- Materials testing and validation testing for composite structures.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in materials, chemical, or aerospace engineering.
- 3+ years of experience with ceramic matrix composite manufacturing systems and processes.
- Familiarity with non-destructive evaluation techniques and interpretation of results (Ultrasonic, CT, shearography, etc.).
- Knowledge of facture control approaches for composite structures.
- Experience writing work instructions and procedures for aerospace hardware.
- Experience transitioning processes from R&D to production on a compressed timeline.
- Experience with coatings and/or paints in aerospace applications.
- Experience working with tailoring Aerospace standards for launch vehicles (NASA-STD-5009, 5019, 6001, 6016. SMC-S-011, etc.)
- Unlimited PTO – Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
- Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
- Medical, dental and vision insurance; STD; Life and AD&D
- Retirement Savings Plan – Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
- Company stock options