UrtheCast Corp. is a Vancouver-based technology company that serves the rapidly evolving geospatial and geoanalytics markets with a wide range of information-rich products and services. UrtheCast is growing and is shaping the future of earth observation. We provide the world with next-generation Earth Observation data using our growing system of space-based sensors. Our Crew members consider themselves agents of change as they work to provide Earth imagery and video data that enables heightened geospatial analysis. With that data, we build our products and services to help everyone — citizens, businesses, and governments alike — make advances in areas ranging from high-tech precision agriculture and forestry resource management, to the monitoring of humanitarian relief efforts. This type of large-scale change requires near-constant technological iteration and innovation, so UrtheCast continues to initiate unprecedented engineering programs like its planned UrtheDaily™ constellation.
From defining use cases for remote sensing ground segments and API driven services to secure transactional systems within a cloud-based infrastructure and computationally intensive image processing algorithms, the development portfolio at UrtheCast is extensive and challenging. Our Software Engineers work as a highly collaborative team in an agile based iterative development environment and are driven to revolutionize Earth Observation through problem solving, growth and ownership.
UrtheCast is always looking for qualified Software Engineers of all levels to join our crew. Experienced with DevOps and cloud-based infrastructure? We want to hear from you for our Senior Software Engineer position! Check out the details below. (Map lovers and space geeks are always encouraged to apply.)
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will have overall responsibility for defining, evaluating, prototyping, designing, implementing, testing, documenting, evolving, deploying, maintaining and applying DevOps practices to components in the context of the development and operations of the Ground Segments required to support UrtheCast’s EO Sensors (present and future), Value-Added Products and internal systems/services used by active stakeholders.
- Define, design, implement, test, debug, deploy and evolve Ground Segment systems, services, infrastructure and software capabilities
- Conduct and participate in technical and interface discussions, design reviews, code reviews and feature verifications with other team members
- Monitor, triage and fix bugs in services with active stakeholders
- Participate in sprint planning, sprint closure, sprint demos, and sprint retrospectives
- Drive the design and implementation of new system requirements, system level architecture.
- Participate in Product and Business Development discussions to advise on and influence the Product Roadmap
- Mentor and train fellow software engineers on software development best practices
- Ensure technical documentation for solution designs is created and maintained
- Recommend new technologies/patterns to ensure solution scalability, maintainability, and quality
- Other duties as required
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Master’s degree in Computer Science an asset
- 7 years+ of experience developing software with proven track record of delivering complex software systems
- Experience developing distributed software deployed within a cloud-based environment (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience practicing DevOps and CICD
- Experience in large scale geo-database and API design and implementation
- Experience in full stack development
- Experience working in Agile (Scrum, XP) iterative frameworks
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Expert knowledge developing in a modern language (Python, Go, Java, C++)
- Expert knowledge using a relational or NoSQL database to support application development
- Working knowledge using a modern CI suite (e.g., Jenkins)
- Working knowledge in software systems architecture concepts and patterns; and database architecture, concept and patterns
- Knowledge in developing cloud-based infrastructure as code
- knowledge in using docker for development, test and production
Fast paced, open concept, production critical and constantly evolving. Software Engineers work in an agile based iterative development environment that practices and embrace DevOps principles. They contribute in a fully automated CICD software development pipeline that delivers cloud native infrastructure and software systems to a cloud-based production environment. May require occasional overtime and travel.