We are a satellite imaging company developing world-first technologies in data services, geoanalytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence. The insights we provide allow customers in multiple industries to track long-term trends, monitor change, and take guided, strategic actions to better serve their customers and fulfill their missions.
From developing computationally intensive image processing algorithms to defining use cases for remote sensing ground segments within a cloud-based infrastructure, the development portfolio at UrtheCast is extensive and challenging. Our Software Engineers work as a highly collaborative team in an agile based iterative development environment and are driven to revolutionize Earth Observation through problem solving, growth and ownership.
UrtheCast is looking for qualified Intermediate Software Engineers (Algorithms) to join our crew. Do you want to work in the space industry and build a software system for large scale satellite data? Are you interested in solving challenging algorithmic and optimization problems? Interested in complex or algorithmically sophisticated Remote Sensing applications? We want to hear from you! Check out the details below. Space geeks are always encouraged to apply!
As a Software Engineer, you will have overall responsibility for the development and operation of UrtheCast’s Ground Segment that supports Earth Observation sensors (present, future and 3rd party), Value-Added Products and internal system/services.
Key responsibilities include:
- Define, design, implement, test, debug, deploy and evolve Ground Segment systems, services, infrastructure and software capabilities
- Conduct and participate in technical and interface discussions, design reviews, code reviews and feature verifications with other team members.
- Participate in sprint planning, sprint closure, sprint demos, sprint retrospectives, and product roadmap planning.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering or equivalent
- 3+ years of professional experience in software engineering with proven track record of delivering complex or algorithmically sophisticated functionality for mission critical projects
- Experience developing and debugging complex systems with interfaces and requirements
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Master’s or higher degree in Computer Science
- Experience in optical or synthetic aperture radar (SAR) remote sensing
- Experience with developing software within a cloud-based environment (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience with continuous integration / continuous development (CICD)
- Experience with Agile software development and SCRUM processes
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, debugging, and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent skills in at least one programming language (e.g Python, C++)
- Good object-oriented and test-driven design skills
- Self-starter and self-learner attitude with the ability to manage and execute with minimal supervision
- Ability to take initiative, commit, and thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Excellent physics/mathematics knowledge and skills
- Excellent algorithmic and analytical problem-solving skills
- Excellent Python development skills
- Good C++ or equivalent development skills
- Good knowledge of software systems architecture and patterns
- Good knowledge in using Numpy, Scipy, OpenCV, Matplotlib, GDAL, etc. scientific stack
- Good knowledge of AWS or other cloud services
- Good knowledge of machine learning
Fast paced, open concept, production critical and constantly evolving. Software Engineers work in an agile based iterative development environment that practices and embraces DevOps principles. They contribute in a fully automated CICD software development pipeline that delivers cloud native infrastructure and software systems to a cloud-based production environment. May require occasional overtime and travel.
What can we offer you?
- Competitive compensation, full benefits and flexible time off
- Flexible working hours with work from home opportunities
- Great work environment, team and office location right over the water in the new Vancouver Convention Centre
- Company subsidized lunches, lunch & learns and Friday afternoon social hours