SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
As a systems engineer in Falcon avionics, you will have the unique opportunity to work with a cross functional team of engineers that bridge the gap between vehicle analysis, design, and production extending through vehicle operations; equally anchored in all disciplines positions you the ability to spearhead change at the inception of product development, through production, to vehicle system validation.
Your creativity and relentless commitment to quality will be expected to analyze and create new systems designs, define new processes, and develop vehicle validation techniques in order to ultimately build a state-of-the-art and fully reusable space launch vehicle system capable of safely and reliably carrying crew and payloads to Mars. You will also put your engineering knowledge to the test by performing real-time troubleshooting on the vehicle as it goes from the integration phase through launch operations. Our fundamental goal is to allow humanity to explore the stars; with it comes extreme responsibility to ensure the safety of the crew and payload. Are you up for the challenge?
- Represent the avionics system in vehicle-level cross-disciplinary trades and troubleshoot issues on prototype and production assemblies
- Work collaboratively with other teams and customers to spacecraft define the scope of development projects and initial product requirements as new designs move from concept, through prototype, and into production
- Act as customer facing subject matter expert preparing presentations and supporting hardware testing at customer facility and launch site to validate SpaceX design meets customer requirements
- Perform design and manufacturing assessments of new designs and drive optimization for manufacturability, quality, and cost
- Lead system-oriented projects including creation, maintenance, and communication of development schedules with sufficient detail to ensure that all assigned personnel are aware of theirs tasks and deadlines as well as identify internal and external resources required to support the project
- Identify internal and external resources required to support the product development schedule; work with department management to ensure that these resources are assigned to the project
- Develop, execute, and document the avionics system verification on flight and flight-representative hardware at the system-level and validate the as-built vehicle is “go for launch”
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering field, science or math
- 1+ years of experience using software tools such as Matlab, C++ or Python
- 2+ years of experience with electrical component design, system level integration of electronic components or system level testing via professional experience, internships, research and/or outside the classroom projects
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Software fluency, enabling automation of test or analysis tasks and manipulation of large data sets
- Experience with wire harnesses and associated sub-components
- Experience with 3D CAD software
- Experience installing and troubleshooting various electronic sensors and components
- Competence with electrical test equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc.)
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together with the ability to assess risk and make design and development decisions without all available data
- Experience leading project teams such as Formula SAE or Hybrid Electric Vehicle
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills
- Strong sense of accountability and integrity with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Minimal travel will be required
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.