There are many products that improve the quality of life on Earth that can only be manufactured in space. Our job at Varda is to make those products and bring them back down. We at Varda are proud to expand the economic bounds of humankind.
Here, you’ll have the opportunity to work at the intersection of ambition and experience. Our team has deep experience in aerospace and tech. They have honed their crafts in the trenches of major companies. Your work will be valued and evaluated by proven leaders who have chosen to apply their talents to manufacturing in space.
While our vision is big, the steps to get there are technically reasonable and operationally feasible. Our conops are clear and use cases have been proven out over decades of ISS-based research and development.
Join Varda to help leverage space for business.
About this Role
The Mechanisms team is responsible for ensuring our spacecraft and payloads can perform the necessary functions to operate on orbit. These functions are essential to ensuring mission success and helping Varda become successful in bringing products back from orbit. Previous projects have ranged from electromechanical pharmaceutical manufacturing payloads, capsule separation mechanisms, and parachute door release devices. The Mechanisms Engineer will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team, integrating components with structural and electrical subsystems. The Mechanisms Engineer will have a unique opportunity to develop hardware from the ground-up and have the ability to grow as Varda grows.
- Scope projects including requirements capture and initial design trades given open-ended problems
- Own the full design, build, test, and fly cycle for mechanical systems and mechanisms
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline with at least 3 years of relevant job experience.
- Knowledge of electro-mechanical components including motors, valves, servo devices, and sensors
- Experience with CAD, FEA, and Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software packages
- Experience with mechanical/electromechanical design and analysis
- Experience working in a laboratory and/or manufacturing environment with engineering hardware
- Hands-on project experience with complex mechanical systems
- Understanding of GD&T and manufacturing processes
- Understanding of system impacts to component design decisions including packaging, thermal, environmental, and loads
Preferred Skills And Experience
- 5+ years of experience design structures or mechanical systems
- Ability to manage large assembly models and drawings
- Experience with CAD and FEA software packages
- Demonstrated understanding of structural analysis and failure modes
- Working knowledge of thermal and structural FEA studies
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
- Exciting team of professionals at the top of their field to working by your side
- Working in El Segundo, CA – an awesome Southern California beach city with quick access to entertainment and outdoor activities
- Equity in a fully funded space startup with potential for significant growth
- 401(k) matching
- Unlimited PTO
- Health insurance, including Vision and Dental
- Lunch and snacks provided on site every day. Dinners provided twice a week.
- Maternity / Paternity leave
Varda Space Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates and employees are always evaluated based on merit, qualifications, and performance. We will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, martial status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.