We are on track to become the world’s first privately funded commercial space line. It is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism with a longer term vision to develop other space technologies that have the potential to open space to significantly more people and users. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver and can make things happen - apply today!
Who you are
Virgin Galactic (VG) is seeking a mid-level experienced Airframe & Powerplant Technician (Space Wrench) to support our commercial space operations department. The candidate must have a desire to learn something new, enthusiasm for the new space industry and be able to mix existing aerospace experience with spaceline maintenance development. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills.
This is a full-time position at Virgin Galactic’s aerospace facility in Mojave, California with anticipated transition to Las Cruces, New Mexico.
Want to know what it’s like? Check our team out!
- Assist with development of maintenance manual definition for vehicle systems and structures.
- Assist with the spaceline GMM development and definition.
- Support training program definition with direct input of hands-on knowledge from the vehicles via different mediums as appropriate.
- Responsible for accomplishing assigned maintenance, preventive maintenance and repair work on the space flight system vehicles.
- Checks, dismantles, adjusts, overhauls, repairs, fabricates, removes and installs all parts of aircraft, including propulsion systems (turbine & rocket), avionics equipment & instruments, fuel systems, ECS systems, life support systems and mechanical systems and hydraulic systems.
- Performs machine tool work and/or composite repair work in connection with the above mechanic maintenance work.
- Shall be required to return an aircraft to service after maintenance had been performed as allowed by the spaceline GMM and the privileges of the airframe and powerplant license.
- Shall be required to complete and sign work records in connection with work performed.
- Inspects parts, sub-assemblies and completed assemblies only to the extent necessary to determine, accomplish and approve own work.
- Will be required to, but not limited to be working on base maintenance type workloads for the spaceline vehicles.
* The Employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
What you bring
- Must have a valid FAA approved Airframe and Powerplant license (A&P License).
- Must have a valid passport and able to obtain a driver’s license.
- Must be familiar with procedures applicable to the various phases of maintenance.
- Preferred experience with rocket systems and associated solid and/or liquid propellants.
- Experience with life support systems (crew and passenger).
- Must be willing to travel and be on-call.
- Must be able to obtain an AOA badge.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years of college level education preferred.
- Certifications or similar within aerospace, aviation or automotive.
- Graduated from a technical college or other recognized apprenticeship.
- Minimum 1-2 years line maintenance experience, 5 years experience is preferred.
- Experience on narrow body and/or business jet aircraft preferred.
- Experience with composite aircraft is preferred although not required (commercial or military aerospace application).
- Must have the ability to assume responsibility for proper administration of policies and procedures.
- Must be able to work under pressure and thrive in a fast paced environment.
- Must display maturity of action and judgment.
- Good communication skills.
Physical and/or Additional Requirements
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed.
- Must be able to travel 25% or more of the time.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours min.
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces- 3+ hours min.
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 40lbs (unassisted).
- ITAR Requirements
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
VG and the greater Virgin Organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Don’t forget to tell Virgin Galactic that you found this opportunity on www.careersin.space!