Virgin Galactic is on track to become the world’s first commercial space line. It is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism and small satellite launch services with a longer term vision to develop other space technologies that have the potential to open space to significantly more people and users. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver and can make things happen - apply today!
The Virgin Galactic organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door,” be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who you are
Under minimal supervision, the Sr. Financial Analyst (SFA) is instrumental in leading and driving management reporting for Virgin Galactic Corporate (VGH) and the budgeting and forecasting process for the Commercial and Shared Services businesses. The SFA will provide insightful analyses and information to enhance overall Company decision making and profitability and will provide continual and ad-hoc expense analyses, support and coordinate budgets with department leaders and help drive better productivity through the identification of process and functional improvements. The role will also implement and administer Finance’s planning and reporting application (Anaplan).
Location: Downtown Los Angeles, CA. Occasional travel to Mojave, CA and Las Cruces, NM required (up to 1-2 times a month, mostly project based).
- Consolidation of Monthly Management Reporting, Annual Budget and Quarterly Reforecasts
- Consolidate monthly financial packages, budgets and quarterly reforecasts for VGH management reporting. Provide account and summary level variance explanations at the consolidated level.
- Perform reconciliation of monthly financial package to GAAP consolidated financials
- Own and maintain consolidated rollups, reconciliations and support schedules for corporate reviews.
- Work closely with FP&A team to coordinate updates and identify issues in financial data and commentary (includes analyzing monthly, quarterly and year over year trends)
Detail annual department budgeting and quarterly reforecasting process for Commercial and Shared Services businesses. Report headcount, operating, and capital expenditures to Virgin Galactic Corporate.
- Meet with leaders across the business to identify costs and headcount requirements in support of management objectives
- Headcount planning
- Maintain and update headcount planning templates. Work directly with department leaders in planning process
- Headcount tracking in support of budget vs. actual reporting and quarterly reforecast
- Expense planning
- Prepare operating and capital expense plan for each plan cycle, including annual budget and quarterly reforecast with relevant stakeholders. Manage department planning templates
- Able to address accounting/planning questions from program leaders (accounting treatment, cash vs. GAAP differences, etc.)
- Maintain multi-year plans to address resource planning with supporting scenario analysis. Develop G&A and overhead allocation projections
- Perform budget to forecast, and forecast to forecast reconciliations. Identify risks and opportunities
- Requires ability to understand operational units to properly align financial projections and to assess impacts to operational goals. Maintain and test key assumptions for long term model as it relates to Commercial and Shared Services.
- Monthly department financial reporting
- Perform account level variance explanations, identifying timing vs. permanent cost differences to budget. Generate monthly financial statements
- Update forecast as it relates to cost differences identified in variance analysis
- Conduct GL account review for all P&L activity, validating balances are reasonable and accurate as compared to current operating plans
- Work closely with accounting department researching variance explanations, propose reclass journal entries, convey budget assumptions, etc.
- Assist in senior management/BOD dashboard reporting process
- Oversee Commercial and Shared Services portion of monthly dashboard reporting process, including performing variance explanations, headcount comparisons, etc.
- Participate in senior finance monthly close meetings
- Support requests for ad-hoc reports, pro-forma financial statements
- Support implementation and administration of budgeting/planning and reporting tool (Anaplan).
- Previous experience working in EPM environments highly preferred, including implementation, rollout and process adoption.
- Administer the Anaplan expense planning and reporting models for VG, including updating master data, updating and creating dashboards and reports using the Excel add-in interface, conduct training and documentation of user guides and supporting docs.
- Ensure financials are accurate
- Work with Finance/Accounting and other stakeholders on issues and solutions
- Aid in the development of impactful, compelling presentation materials (decks, notes, write-ups, backup materials, etc.) that effectively communicates financial projections, risks and opportunities
- Other special projects as required
What you bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, economics, or finance required.
- 5-7 years of relevant work experience. Public company and/or manufacturing-environment experience preferred
- Progressive advancement in accounting and finance function in operational finance departments.
- Strong understanding of monthly close and performance reporting process
- Ability to articulate with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong business partnering and interpersonal skills. Highly organized, flexible and easily adaptable to changing conditions
- Ability to work well under high pressure and tight deadline situations. Ability to multi-task and manage simultaneous priorities
- High energy, high ownership of work product and dedication and commitment to driving results
- Knowledge of US GAAP, demonstrated either through work experience or professional accountancy qualification
- Strong working knowledge of Excel:
- Formulas and Functions, including: Pivot tables, Vlookups, Nested IF statements, Logic statements, etc. Financial modeling experience in Excel required. Data tables, what if analysis
- Excel best practices required (formatting, file linking, etc.)
- Final candidates will be given an online Excel test
- Experience with Cost Accounting Standards a plus
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen., lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status