Together we open space to change the world for good
Who we are
Virgin Galactic recognizes that the answers to many of the challenges we face in sustaining life on our beautiful but fragile planet lie in making better use of space. Sending people to space has not only expanded our understanding of science, but taught us amazing things about human ingenuity, physiology, and psychology. From space, we are able to look with a new perspective both outward and back. From space, the borders that are fought over on Earth are arbitrary lines. From space, it is clear that there is much more that unites us than divides us.
“We are at the vanguard of a new industry determined to pioneer twenty-first-century spacecraft, which will open space to everybody — and change the world for good.” Sir Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin Galactic
If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver, and can make things happen – apply today!
Virgin Galactic is seeking a design engineer with experience developing airframe structural components, assemblies, and integrated systems. This role executes work autonomously and provides technical guidance to a team of engineers through the process of generating detailed design definitions, and supporting fabrication and assembly activities throughout the production of the vehicle. Engineers in this position are expected to have strong experience with commercial aerospace standard design practices and methods as well as engineering experience in design and analysis required to develop efficient solutions.
- Development of conceptual designs through the manufacturing of details, assemblies, and installations.
- Support production and operations teams to ensure vehicle readiness for flight. This includes a detailed involvement in fabrication and implementation activities.
- Participate in the continuous improvement of design practices, procedures, and technology.
- Participate in the engineering definition review, approval, and release process in accordance with the industry and company standards.
- Support review of manufacturing plans and procedures to ensure compliance with design requirements.
- Organize time and resources effectively to meet the demands of internal customer requirements.
- Develop technical solutions to complex problems that require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
What you bring
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, with a concentration in Aeronautical, Astronautical, Aerospace, or Mechanical Engineering.
- 4-8+ years of experience in the aerospace industry with a strong design emphasis.
- In-depth knowledge of structural design associated with composite aircraft and associated CAD workbenches. CATIA V5 preferred.
- Experience with composite tooling, fabrication, and manufacturing methods.
- Experience with the design of flight vehicles or vehicle systems to a set of requirements or standards such as CFR 14, Part 400, Part 23 and 25, military or NASA are highly desired.
- Experience with Product Lifecycle Management tools (PLM software), requirements management tools, and configuration management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong team player and ability to work independently with excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, the applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.