Together we open space to change the world for good
WHO WE ARE
Virgin Galactic recognizes that the answers to many of the challenges we face in sustaining life on our beautiful but fragile planet lie in making better use of space. Sending people to space has not only expanded our understanding of science, but taught us amazing things about human ingenuity, physiology, and psychology. From space, we are able to look with a new perspective both outward and back. From space, the borders that are fought over on Earth are arbitrary lines. From space, it is clear that there is much more that unites than divides us.
“We are at the vanguard of a new industry determined to pioneer twenty-first-century spacecraft, which will open space to everybody — and change the world for good.” Sir Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin Galactic
If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver, and can make things happen – apply today!
Virgin Galactic is seeking a talented and motivated Senior Systems Engineer to join our team. Specifically, this role is for the Next Generation Mothership which is being developed to serve as the launch vehicle for the Virgin Galactic Spaceship Fleet. The primary responsibility will be supporting structures, systems, and avionics development and integration for the vehicle. The ideal candidate will have proven prior results in the technology development of integrated hardware and software in the aerospace industry. This role is for an engineer with great attention to detail and possesses excellent communication and people skills.
- Develop project execution management plans for Systems Engineering efforts
- Develop vehicle, system, and sub-system requirements for design and verification
- Work with multi-disciplined VG Engineering teams and subcontractors to define the following for all aircraft/spacecraft systems and their components:
- System Architecture
- Mechanical Interface Control Documents
- Electrical Interface Control Documents
- Functional Interface Control Documents
- Define and document the interface constraints between vehicle systems and structures
- Work closely with software and hardware teams to develop qualification plans and artifacts
- Requirements definition, Specification, integration, and testing of the following:
- Aircraft Mechanical Systems
- Electrical systems
- Plan, execute and report on vehicle ground and flight testing
- Ensure technology and product development activities are focused on and satisfy relevant requirements
What you bring
- S. or M.S. degree in an Engineering discipline from an accredited university
- Must have prior experience in project planning, estimation, and risk identification/mitigation
- Must have prior experience performing systems engineering and integration for complex spacecraft or aircraft
- Experience certifying air vehicle equipment to DO-160 and/or DO-178 is desired
- Experience writing certification plans according to DO-160 and/or DO-178 is desired
- Deep understanding of aircraft/spacecraft design practices, processes, and engineering fundamentals
- 7 or more years of relevant experience in aerospace or a similar field
- Strong troubleshooting, organizational, and written communication skills
- Applicants must be U.S. persons as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR §120.15)
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, the applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.