A NEW SPACE AGE IS COMING SOON
Who we are
Virgin Galactic recognizes that the answers to many of the challenges we face in sustaining life on our beautiful but fragile planet lie in making better use of space. Sending people to space has not only expanded our understanding of science but taught us amazing things about human ingenuity, physiology, and psychology. From space, we are able to look with a new perspective both outward and back. From space, the borders that are fought over on Earth are arbitrary lines. From space, it is clear that there is much more that unites us than divides us.
“We are at the vanguard of a new industry determined to pioneer twenty-first-century spacecraft, which will open space to everybody — and change the world for good.” Sir Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin Galactic
If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver, and can make things happen – apply today!
Virgin Galactic and the greater Virgin Organization have a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising, and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need for complete confidentiality.
Virgin Galactic is seeking a talented and motivated Engineer/Analyst to join our team. The ideal candidate will be able to perform the responsibilities of the position and meet many of the Knowledge/Experience requirements. You bring your talent and experience and will have the opportunity to learn from on-the-job training. This position is also a great opportunity to grow into a new engineering discipline or increase your experience in a career you have had for many years.
- Works with project and engineering to perform reliability-Centered Maintenance (RCM) / Maintenance Steering Group (MSG-3) analysis (environmental deterioration/accidental damage ratings for structures and zones, functional Failure Modes and Effects (FMEA) for systems and powerplant) of existing, new, and modified systems related to company vehicles.
- Develop preventive maintenance and/or reliability programs for vehicle operations and perform ongoing optimizations to programs and vehicle requirements.
- Develop MMEL, Event-Triggered, Inspection, and Interval strategies.
- Develop and update Inspection and Maintenance Requirements Manual, Maintenance Planning Data (MPD) documents, and Operational-MPD (Pre-Flight, Post-Flight, etc.) documents.
- Participate in Verification & Validation activities of preventive maintenance development.
- Provides technical support to engineering, production, maintenance management, and technical personnel.
- Perform Reliability processes including collecting data, developing metrics, and conducting trend analysis.
What you bring
- B.S. Degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) or related field.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn of one of the following software packages: Windchill Quality Solutions, Reliability Workbench, CATIA, Reliasoft MPC, or other MSG-3.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn of R&M standards such as RCM, MSG-3, SAE JA1011/SAE JA1012, NAVAIR 00-25-403, MIL-STD-3034, DOD 4151.22.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn of Reliability standards and best practice analysis methods that apply to “complex systems” in an operational environment to affect predictive and preventive maintenance.
- Ability to read electrical and mechanical engineering drawings, including schematics, wiring diagrams, and install/assembly drawings.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn of maintenance program and reliability program development.
- Detailed oriented with excellent analytical skills is required.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn of the interrelationship of the various R&M and Product Safety analysis techniques.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn the failure/root cause/resolution processes is a plus.
- Knowledge of Product Safety standards ARP4761 or Mil-Std-882 is a plus.
- Knowledge / Experience with Design for Maintainability / Reliability / Testability is a plus.
- Knowledge of engineering Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) systems is a plus.
- Prior experience in aviation maintenance is a plus.
- FAA Airframe & Powerplant (A&P) or equivalent is a plus.
- Experience developing and conducting maintainability/reliability Testing is a plus.
- Experience with Visual Basic, Visual Studio, SQL Server, MS Access, and databases is a plus.
- Team player with excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Must be self-motivated and capable of working with minimal supervision (depending upon experience), adaptable to changing environments, and handle multiple tasks and/or projects simultaneously.
- 2 or more years related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Related work experience includes work in any of the STEM fields.
- Ability and willingness to learn and grow in the R&M function.
- Strong troubleshooting, organizational, and written communication skills.
- Applicants must be U.S. persons as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR §120.15).
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, the applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.