Together we open space to change the world for good
Director of Vehicle Design – This executive role leads the teams responsible for all mechanical systems, pneumatic/hydraulic systems, and structural design. It has accountability for the management, capabilities, and performance of all resources in the Vehicle Design Department and oversees the development and delivery of all system requirements and designs.
This position provides leadership, mentoring, career development guidance, and is the senior-most MRB engineer representing the design groups. This role involves working closely with the other engineering disciplines as well as the vehicle leads to ensure our flight vehicles are safe to fly, meet all systems design requirements, and are staffed accordingly to properly execute programs. This role functions in a fast-paced flight test environment.
- Provide inspiring and supportive Functional Management/Leadership of the Vehicle Design Department
- Responsible for team recruitment, staffing, and succession planning with an eye on long term value/success and building a world class engineering team.
- Contribute to the preparation of technical and commercial proposals.
- Define and develop the processes that support new design and modifications to flight vehicles.
- Develop resource plans that ensure projects, manufacturing, and flight test programs are fully supported 24/7 as required with appropriate skill sets.
- Maintain and develop appropriate library of standards and references
- Maintain high level of team performance through continued mentoring and training
- Strengthen company Intellectual Property holdings by innovative methods of solving company challenges.
- Evaluate employee key strengths and develop associated career paths.
- Make recommendations for merit increases, bonuses, and promotions.
- Develop new engineering management tools to improve process and accuracy of engineering work performed by Vehicle Design Engineering team
- Work to mitigate any problems that may jeopardize quality, risks, safety, budget, or schedule.
- Lead efforts to improve project delivery process; focused on operational improvements and new ways to reduce cost and reduce delivery time
- Set efficiency, process, and technical development goals for the department
- Maintain positive working relationships with other functions in the organization to best execute the company vision.
- Develop department level budgets (operating and capital).
- Enable, support, and inspire the culture and community within Vehicle Design
What you bring
- BS degree in engineering.
- Must have excellent technical capability and ability to tackle complex systems design challenges.
- Proven ability to:manage multiple projects concurrently;
- Manage teams and external consultants;
- Work under pressure
- Meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrated knowledge of program management principles, tools and procedures for measuring project/program success.
- Integrated, holistic in-depth understanding of an aircraft configuration, design and performance.
- Conversant in most, if not all disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and empower a team of subject matter experts in varying technical disciplines.
- Successful experience managing schedule, cost, & risk management.
- Solid leadership and management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent customer service and interface skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams in project-based environments with innovative products.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office and MS Project.
- Applicants must be U.S. persons as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR §120.15).
- Material Review Board experience is desirable.
- Experience working in R&D or product development environments.
- Experience with CATIA V5 software and kinematics is highly desired.
- Significant leadership experience in aerospace technology and aircraft development.
- Knowledge and experience with AS 9100 a plus.
- Experience with the design of flight vehicles or vehicle systems to a set of requirements or standards such as CFR 14, Part 400, Part 23 and 25, military or NASA.