Together we open space to change the world for good
Virgin Galactic www.VirginGalactic.com (SPCE:NYSE) Virgin Galactic recognizes that the answers to many of the challenges we face in sustaining life on our beautiful but fragile planet, lie in making better use of space.
Sending people to space has not only expanded our understanding of science, but taught us amazing things about human ingenuity, physiology and psychology.
From space, we are able to look with a new perspective both outward and back. From space, the borders that are fought over on Earth are arbitrary lines. From space it is clear that there is much more that unites than divides us.
We are at the vanguard of a new industry determined to pioneer twenty-first century spacecraft, which will open space to everybody — and change the world for good.
Sir Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin Galactic
If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver, and can make things happen – apply today!
As a Project Engineer on our Mothership focused on Flight Sciences/Flight Test scope, you will be the technical leader of a cross discipline aerospace engineering team responsible for mission critical scope meant to deliver commercial space travel to the public. The Motherships are a new production platform that will help move us into commercial operation at a significantly scaled capacity, and allow us to deliver compelling views of the earth from space and a one-of-a-kind apogee experience our passengers will never forget. Our goal is to deliver a transformative experience that changes the way people look at the planet and their place in it.
- Accountable for the technical integration of the Flight Sciences engineering disciplines, including full lifecycle requirement development, verification planning and execution through analysis, wind tunnel testing and flight test.
- Lead the cross-functional engineering teams to complete associated scope within the program, and coordinate with other stakeholders
- Support development of Engineering plans to meet program requirements.
- Support the program team by identifying risks and development of risk mitigation plans that meet the program objectives.
- Support the development and validation of the system technical requirements and deliverables in support of overall program requirements.
- Validate schedule and staffing estimates for the Engineering activities.
- Support the project manager by assigning and prioritizing responsibilities for engineering tasks associated with their scope as required.
- Update and communicate status effectively with the Program Team and leadership to provide assistance and technical support.
- Perform high level quality control of the work (technical adequacy, plans, personnel’s performance) and report regularly on engineering project status to program and engineering leadership. Initiate corrective actions for poor quality engineering results.
- Other duties as required in support of Engineering and Program Requirements.
What you bring
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an accredited institution.
- 10+ years engineering experience, with a majority on related systems.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and empower a team of subject matter experts in varying technical disciplines.
- Understanding of aircraft or transportation system design and engineering processes
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills with a high attention to detail.
- Team player with excellent collaboration, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Highly dependable, strong work ethic, with excellent time management skills.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with life safety design/requirements
- Experience with prototype, development, experimental and/or innovative products
- Hands on experience with equipment assembly, fabrication, and installation
- Proactive/self-sufficient/able to work and add value with minimal oversight
- Willingness to learn new things and continually improve capabilities/skills
- Positive and optimistic influence on team, department, and community
- Comfortable working in a creative/chaotic environment
- Desire and ability to mentor others
- Desire to question the status quo…
As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. teammates, as well as all newly hired employees.
As of October 1, 2021, all new hires must be able to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, “fully vaccinated” means at least two weeks have expired since receiving the vaccination’s last dose as recommended by the manufacturer). If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. teammates, as well as newly hired employees.
As of October 1, 2021, all new hires must be able to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against the COVID-19virus, (“fully vaccinated” means at least two week have expired since receiving the vaccination’s last dose as recommended by the manufacturer). If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met be your date of hire. Virgin Galactic complies with federal, state, and local laws with regard to accommodations related to this policy.
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace